Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Oil Changers

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Sam I Am 
#1 ·
Okay, I just finished doing a valve job last weekend and changed my oil after I got the heads back on. I used a thru the dipstick type pump and then I put a small pan under the motor and drained the remainder. I was surprised to see how much more oil came out. I had considered buying one of those oil pumps that connect directly to the oil pan drain plug, but oon the west marine site they have very poor reviews. So, what I'd like to know for all of you is:

What do you use to pump out the oil?

How long does it take you to pump 5 quarts?

Would you recommend your way to others?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Spider,

I too use the dip stick tube to remove old oil. And, like you I do not get all the oil--all but about 3/4 of the last quart. I am a bit of a freak when it comes to changing my oil, about every 50 hours or so, which comes to about 2wice a season for me. I figure that the left over 3/4 quart wasn't all that bad anyway, and it does get diluted with another 4 1/4 quarts.

As for how long it takes, I'd say about 20 minutes. But I got a self made, one of a kind set up and have nothing to compare it to. How long does it take you?

As for a recommendation, I've never had an engine problem relating to having insufficient lubrication, so what I do works for me. My current big block has over 900 hours on it and no problems, except that it needs a tune up.

Oh, and I always use Mobil 1.

#3 ·
Thats what I am looking to do too, DY. Make my own set up. I am looking at a shureflo pump. I figure I can get the fittings at the hardware shop once I have the thread sizes. I figure on owning this boat for quite a while and I too am religious on oil changing. I hate leaving used oil in the pan.

Anyone else?

#4 ·
i think iam going to buy this one here in week or so and see how it works . from west marine for aoil change and fuel filter i pay 108 some wher in there , but figure cheaper to do on my own from now on being i do so often.

West Advisor
Services
About West Marine

Portaquick 12V Oil Changer

Shopper Rating:
Read/Write Reviews

Manufacturer MFG Part # WM Model# Price In Stock? Qty
JABSCO 17800-2000 372128 Sale $134.99 USD
Save $10.00 USD NO

Description

Removes oil through the dipstick tube so there's no need for you to work your way under the engine. The Porta-Quick is supplied with both a 1/4'' x 40'' dipstick probe and a female garden hose connector which attaches the suction hose directly to dipstick tubes supplied with garden hose threads.

The pump is reversible, which allows the container to be emptied just as neatly as it's filled
A retractable pouring spout is also included
Includes an 8' cord with alligator clip leads
Measures 13 5/8''H x 13 1/2''diameter
Replacement parts available separately

#5 ·
I bought the Reverso oil changer system and plumbed it directly to the oil pan drain plug and generator drain. It has a 3 valve manifold. The oil pan fittings can be purchased from Dynamic speed and marine 949-5990. I made 3000psi hydraulic lines at work custom length from engine to manifold. I plumbed in a 5 gallon container with clean fresh oil that can be aded at any time with the flick of a switch. I use another container for used oil, just switch the valves and hit the switch.

#6 ·
QUOTE(hammer @ Sep 18 2003, 11:24 AM)I bought the Reverso oil changer system and plumbed it directly to the oil pan drain plug and generator drain. It has a 3 valve manifold. The oil pan fittings can be purchased from Dynamic speed and marine 949-5990. I made 3000psi hydraulic lines at work custom length from engine to manifold. I plumbed in a 5 gallon container with clean fresh oil that can be aded at any time with the flick of a switch. I use another container for used oil, just switch the valves and hit the switch.
Hammer, THAT is the hook up !

But i have the hand pump myself, and would change it every season. i would typically put on 40 running hours a year.
Run to the bay anchor! Party !
Go to metro for the weekend, party!

I would love to have an electric system but can't justify it for the cost vs effectiveness at this time.

#8 ·
I've got the porta quick oil changer and am very happy with it. I 've tried several others but they didn't compare.
I did have the quick drain plug a few years ago, until the oil pan got stress cracks around the plug area. A guy from gm Tech Center claims the extra weight may have caused the cracks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.