Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 200hp mercury outboard that I think is now basically worthless. I was driving my boat today started fine but after about 1 min of driving the engine just stallled and would not restart. I took it to my lcoal boat repair shop and was amazed by the prognosis. Apparently this little rubber hose that feeds oil to the engine broke off at the hose clamp stopping the oil from reaching the motor. Mechanic said the motor is probably completely seized up and will need to be rebuilt. He is probably right but this seems like a really bad design flaw. This hose was totally deteriorated and basically crumbled in my fingers when I picked at it. Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oil injected jet ski's are prone to failures like that also. Some people put oil in their gas just in case the injection system goes out. I toasted a jet ski and rebuild or replace are your options. Neither is cheap.

Mark

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I figured it is toast as well but it just shocks me that an entire engine is dependent on one 10 cent hose to work. I think once I get it rebuilt I will disassemble that part and just mix the oil with my gas myself. Then I know if it is getting gas it is getting oil too. Anyone know a good Mercury mechanic?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts