Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way back from the "nooner" heard a minor lifter tick at high rpm, slowed the boat down tick went away.
I noticed the oil pressure was low and oil level was full but smelled of gas. Made it back to Beacon Cove. Changed the oil (smelled bad of fuel) and hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge. No tick and 50psi pressure.

Now the question, This is the 1st oil change I did on the boat (dont know when the previous owner did one last)
If the plugs look good, I was told that the fuel pump diaphram can go bad and leak gas into the motor via the
pushrod hole that pushes the pump.

Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you have a mechanical fuel pump that could be a possibilty. You might check if there is a PCV valve and if it is working properly. A bad valve guide, though not likely, could cause some gas to pass into the upper portion of the heads and into your oil. I would also do a compression test on each cylinder. If you have a bad cylinder gas can blow by and down into your oil. Good Luck, and I hope it is something simple and cheap for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem fixed, it was the pump. The plugs looked perfect and all cylinders had 140 psi compression. Who knows how long the old oil was in it or what kind it was. Now I have 30 psi
oil pressure @ idle and 50 psi @ 4000 rpm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts