Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading Ajvorps' schooley reel question, it got me thinking. Does anyone use the old style 2 peg line holder rods anymore? Or do the members use schooley and/or spinning reels?
Mike

·
Registered
692 Posts
QUOTE(mwbundy @ Feb 25 2010, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>After reading Ajvorps' schooley reel question, it got me thinking. Does anyone use the old style 2 peg line holder rods anymore? Or do the members use schooley and/or spinning reels?
Mike

I saw some ancient ones at Frank's in Linwood, that were bamboo! They had the pegs also....and a kind of foam handle. I didn't get one, but I just know I'll regret that.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My first ice rod had pegs, fished with it that way for years untill I had a couple of breakoffs, them added schooley reels to them. Now days I use my summer spincasters mated to a couple of ice rods.

Draino

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have a guy that makes ice rods out of aluminum arrow shafts. He uses pilot tubing for the line wrap pegs. They have foam grips and are really cool, excellent quality too. I have some really old, old, old ice combos on display at the store, that are part of my personal antique collection.
I stopped ordering the wooden peg ones because we sold more schooley's.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My son made a couple ice rods out of PVC, with one eyelet at the end, and two pegs for line. Glued on top cap, but didn't glue bottom cap. Remove to store extra hooks, split shot, etc. Pretty cool, easy to handle, so far works good. I imagine if it ever gets hit by a pike it'll be toast, but great for perch jiggin'.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I only use spinning reels. You get a decent gear ratio in case a fish runs at you (usually if you manage to hook a pike or bass) and you also have a drag so your line doesn't snap if you hook into a good fish. Sometimes the old classics are tough to beat, but I enjoy my spinning reels for ice fishing. There's no sense in losing good fish because you didn't want to spend a couple extra dollars.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I have several old wooden poles that have line holders that are similar in appearance to anchor cleats. I have enough poles with reels now that i dont have to use the old ones unless i bring someone else out with me. Unless your fishing for bigger fish, i dont really think it matters, seeing as i usually just hand line them in anyways.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i have made a few home made ice rods with broken rod tips,i do have 2 spinning reels for ice fishing but only take 1 out with me most of the time, seems the take up more room. i like the old schooly type reels the best for st clair

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
QUOTE(Joe G @ Feb 25 2010, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I saw one at M&M made out of a deer antler. It was nice, but a little too expensive. Does combine my two favorite hobbies, though.

Top Gun has a nice ice fishing rod made from a deer antler. I think it's a cool idea!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.