Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Was out yesterday on our great lake cruising around and one of the engines acted up. I have twin merc. 5.7's (260hp) with alpha one drives on a '88 Sundancer.

Cruising along around 3500rpm's, the port engine raced all of sudden and I lost all prop power from her. Thought I got tangled in some weeds and went to clear the prop with no problem. She went into gear fine and the prop was spinning. As soon as she would hit about 2800 - 2900 rpm, she would just over rev and peg the needle but with no power or motion. Check of the prop showed no damage, it spins smoothly by hand and the shaft has no more than about 1/4 of forward play (this is the same as what was there before this happened). Putting the engine into gear is smooth and the prop shows good air passage. The engine does not overheat, runs around 140-145 degree's, and never was there any noise, thumps, thuds, grinds or banging of any sort.

Does anyone have any idea's of what may have happened, what I should be looking for, or how to narrow down the possibilities?

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT is as follows:
I am thinking I spun the hub on the prop. If I did, what is the cure? Is it a matter of replacing the hub and a new lock washer? I know it cant be just that. Not with my luck.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I think you need to get a hub kit for that prop. They are not too expensive, but I think thats your problem. When I had an Alpha drive, mine did the same thing. It was the hub.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Jim, if you have aluminum props, chances are the hub is spinning. replace the prop. You can have it checked at Henry Smiths in Algonac. They do great work and have been around for ever. Those props have a rubber peice between the hub and the blades for protection of the motor. I had one do that to me too. Freaked me out. Always carry a spare prop. But then, you have twins so you'd be able to limp home on one anyway. I'd still keep a spare prop myself.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never had her WOT as the kids wanted to troll out and back in again. Seemed to work fine. No fish though

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts