Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw my 1st open heart surgery, it was pretty cool!!! It is just amazing to see it for yourself.

The downside.... after witnessing someone have their chest cracked open and their heart beating before your eyes, I am freaking out a little bit. For dinner I had salad, cottage cheese and beets. Now I am going roller blading. I do not want my chest cracked open!!!!!!

It was truly amazing. My favorite part was when they re-started the heart after the procedure was finished. (During the procedure the body is perfused via a heart/lung machine and the heart is stopped) Watching it start pumping away again was phenomenal!!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
was it a planned surgery or did you get to watch an emergency one?

still - you are a brave soul peering into someones chest cavity - I couldn't do it

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Way to go Girlie!!!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I've seen it on TV. I think that is close enough for me.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
QUOTE(Shandog @ May 10 2004, 05:59 PM)was it a planned surgery or did you get to watch an emergency one?

still - you are a brave soul peering into someones chest cavity - I couldn't do it
It was a planned surgery.

I will see the emergeny ones next month when I do my surgery rotation at Detroit Receiving.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
QUOTE(Boater2be @ May 10 2004, 07:55 PM)I've seen it on TV. I think that is close enough for me.
ditto...

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
QUOTE(Focker @ May 10 2004, 08:36 PM)QUOTE(Boater2be @ May 10 2004, 07:55 PM) I've seen it on TV. I think that is close enough for me.
ditto...
double ditto
where's the green faced smilie when ya need it?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Hey Girlie, what surgery was being done? I had my chest cracked open on May 21, 1998, (I was 32 years old), my heart stopped for 54 mins and cut open for a mitral valve replacement. They put in a St. Jude, bi-leaflet, mechanical valve. FullThrottle and the kids can hear me "ticking" from across the room. Pretty neat, in a way.

I can tell you first hand about having your sternum cut in half and then held together with "chicken" wire, the chest tubes, waking up on a ventalator and worst of all, trying to cough while SQEEEEEEEEEZING the pillow to help stop some of the pain.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Jim, the surgery she was in on was also a mitral valve replacement. It sounds like an amazing process, but I certainly hope I never have to go through it or witness it!

I'm so glad that there are people who can stomach this stuff, and I'm so proud of Girlie for doing what she's doing!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ May 11 2004, 01:08 AM)Jim, the surgery she was in on was also a mitral valve replacement. It sounds like an amazing process, but I certainly hope I never have to go through it or witness it!

I'm so glad that there are people who can stomach this stuff, and I'm so proud of Girlie for doing what she's doing!

Fantastic. Sounds like a great conversation some day - What it looks like (feels like) from both sides. My only regret is that my surgeon would not take any pics of my heart as he placed the new valve in. I am hoping to be in Girlie's shoes one day where I can witness the same operation. I gues a couple years of pre-med classes and a keen interest into how "things" work can go a long ways.

Congratulations to her and way to go. If she ever ends up doing rounds at Henry Ford Hospital, make sure she looks me up. I'm on the Police Department there.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ May 11 2004, 12:40 AM)Hey Girlie, what surgery was being done? I had my chest cracked open on May 21, 1998, (I was 32 years old), my heart stopped for 54 mins and cut open for a mitral valve replacement. They put in a St. Jude, bi-leaflet, mechanical valve. FullThrottle and the kids can hear me "ticking" from across the room. Pretty neat, in a way.

I can tell you first hand about having your sternum cut in half and then held together with "chicken" wire, the chest tubes, waking up on a ventalator and worst of all, trying to cough while SQEEEEEEEEEZING the pillow to help stop some of the pain.
my mom had a 5 vessels by-pass at 45 on christmas eve in 1995. She said the same thing about waking up on the ventilater and coughing and trying to hold her chest. The recovery was very painful.

I give you alot of credit Emily! I don't have the stomach for that

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(puppetshow @ May 11 2004, 08:02 AM)my mom had a 5 vessels by-pass
A quintuple bypass?? I thought a quadruple was the most. Or is this something else?

I have no problems watching the open heart surgeries on TV. Its the vasectomies that really make me cringe.

·
Registered
455 Posts
QUOTE(Girlie @ May 10 2004, 05:36 PM)I saw my 1st open heart surgery, it was pretty cool!!! It is just amazing to see it for yourself.

The downside.... after witnessing someone have their chest cracked open and their heart beating before your eyes, I am freaking out a little bit. For dinner I had salad, cottage cheese and beets. Now I am going roller blading. I do not want my chest cracked open!!!!!!

It was truly amazing. My favorite part was when they re-started the heart after the procedure was finished. (During the procedure the body is perfused via a heart/lung machine and the heart is stopped) Watching it start pumping away again was phenomenal!!
Cool! Isn't it? I was with a M.A.S.H. unit in the military and had the chance to sit in on quite a few procedures!

The only one that made me feel a little queasy was a hernia operation!?!?!?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ May 11 2004, 12:16 AM)QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ May 11 2004, 01:08 AM) Jim, the surgery she was in on was also a mitral valve replacement. It sounds like an amazing process, but I certainly hope I never have to go through it or witness it!

Fantastic. Sounds like a great conversation some day - What it looks like (feels like) from both sides. My only regret is that my surgeon would not take any pics of my heart as he placed the new valve in. I am hoping to be in Girlie's shoes one day where I can witness the same operation. I gues a couple years of pre-med classes and a keen interest into how "things" work can go a long ways.

Congratulations to her and way to go. If she ever ends up doing rounds at Henry Ford Hospital, make sure she looks me up. I'm on the Police Department there.
It was amazing. If I had it done/needed to have it done, I would not want to see the procedure. I think it would freak me out. I give you a lot of credit after seeing what happens, I know why you hurt so much!!! Thanks for sharing. I have a couple of questions for you:

Are you on Coumadin?
When will you have to have the valve replaced again? Did they give you an estimate of when you would most likely need to have it again?

As of now I am not rotating a Henry Ford. It could change though.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I applaud you, Girlie! Very proud of you......and Henry Ford is a great place. I can't wait to get the better insurance from my work so we can go back to our old doctors. We've been HF patients for over 15 years.

PJ and Puppetshow~How scary, but a good thing.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
QUOTE(Girlie @ May 12 2004, 11:18 PM)QUOTE(PyrateJim @ May 11 2004, 12:16 AM) QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ May 11 2004, 01:08 AM) Jim, the surgery she was in on was also a mitral valve replacement. It sounds like an amazing process, but I certainly hope I never have to go through it or witness it!

It was amazing. If I had it done/needed to have it done, I would not want to see the procedure. I think it would freak me out. I give you a lot of credit after seeing what happens, I know why you hurt so much!!! Thanks for sharing. I have a couple of questions for you:

Are you on Coumadin?
When will you have to have the valve replaced again? Did they give you an estimate of when you would most likely need to have it again?

As of now I am not rotating a Henry Ford. It could change though.
Hi Girlie,

To answer your questions, yes, I a on coumadin. Life long therapy. As I am sure you know, with the mechanical valve, the blood flow is not as smooth as what God gave us, or a porcein? (pig) valve or a homographic one. Without the coumadin, clotting would begin within 5-7 days with a matter of days after that before the valve is damage by the growth and needs replacement (again) or the patient suffers a stroke or m.i. At 38, I am still a bit young to be a statistic.

The valve is expected to out last me (natural death) but will most likely have to be replaced around the 20-25 year mark providing nothing creeps up till then. By that time, I am hoping they have a tissue valve that will be able to be used that has a similar life span and I can eliminate the coumadin in my "older" age. As of right now, porcein(sp?) valves have a life expectancy of 12-15 years before failing. Other obstacle is tht iti s very difficult to get a good tissue seal when going from a mechanical valve to a tissue one. The mechanical one stretches the valve area/surrounding heart tissue/muscle and you would need a larger valve to compensate, but "supersize it" to much and it is not that hemodynamically efficent.

Enough of cardiology 101 from the patient.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Kudo's to you Girlie! Its good that there are ppl like you in this world!!
I can't watch any of that kind of stuff...even on TV. I have NO stomache for blood,
*faint*

PJ, what an ordeal! Glad everything went well & you are ok!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts