Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have signed up for two opening day tournaments this year. June 19th (Michigan opener St.Clair) and June 26th (Canada opener St. Clair).
I assume most will pre-fish (illegally
). Some will not - and will probably not do as well. So as not to implicate anyone, who would theoretically pre-fish for these tournaments if, by chance, you were signed up for them or would you not fish them at all? By pre-fishing, I mean using the "strictly for bass" lures
like tubes, etc... not the "legal" pike, musky, walleye lures like spinnerbaits, crankbaits and jerkbaits. Just curious

·
Registered
57 Posts
Scouting isn't illegal......watch the water temperature in weeks coming up to the
opener and that should give you a place to start.

Which tournament on the 26th are you fishing?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
That time of year, you could 'pre-fish' by just looking. In clear water, you can see if the bass are shallow or nearby. You don't have to fish. That is your choice that time of year.

Let's hope by next year, it's no longer an issue.

·
Registered
795 Posts
QUOTEI mean using the "strictly for bass" lures like tubes, etc...

Well I wish some one would tell them dang sheephead, rockbass and perch that they souldn't hit my tube! let a lone the big toothy pike.

Roflm** Caught a 11 inch perch on a big crank bait just the other day

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Big D - BFL (co-angler, but I would like to pre-fish in case I draw a dud!)

Scouting is okay, and you can locate fish at this time of year by water temp, clarity, weed growth etc..... But honestly I believe it takes setting the hook a few times to determine the quality of fish in the area on St. Clair. I have never had much of a problem catching 5 fish this early in the season, but catching a 3-4lb average limit is another story.

Dan - I am with you. I personally think the only thing the DNR has ever accomplished succesfully in this state is reducing the quality of our hunting/fishing. Well, maybe not with all the salmon / trout stocking - but everything else. They don't want to spend the resources to do actual studies so they sway whichever way the popular, uninformed opinion blows. Hopefully with all the spoonfeeding you and Mr. Spitler have been doing, they will change their minds. (Kind of like what the QDM is doing for our deer hunting - training the "experts").

Anyhow, I guess I will stick to fishing spinnerbaits, and suspending jerkbaits for those pike, musky and walleye. I hope those smallies will stay off my hook!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts