Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did you do on opening day bassin, what did you catch them on?

h2o

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wind never let up. Fished the open today, lots of fish caught, but you can't do well with thirty, 2 pound fish . Mostly behind selfridge, 13 mile, and the spillway. Tried some cuts off of the middle channel, but no luck. 20+ pounds took first. Heard he went up to the Detroit river. That's a great weight for this week. Can't wait until next week, to get to the other side.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Same here. We caught fish up and down the west shoreline, just not the size we were "seeing" on Friday. The high winds really recked havoc on some areas and me! Tough opener. Fishing should only improve as they get out of there post-spawn funk and go on the feed. 16+lbs won the GNT and I'm pretty sure theycame from the Detroit river as well. Biggest bag out of Clair was about 13lbs.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Fished the mile roads this morning with Mr. Paul. 4.5 hrs, 14 fish 11 smallies 2 largies and 1 little 20" musky. What a nice day.

Gregg

·
Registered
371 Posts
Fished the mile roads this morning with Mr. Paul. 4.5 hrs, 14 fish 11 smallies 2 largies and 1 little 20" musky. What a nice day.

Gregg

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Good job. Any size to them?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Fished the flats outside of Ford's Cove this morning. Kind of slow. Smallies didn't seem to be very active yet. Just a couple -- around 16" and 18" -- and a bunch of Rock Bass. Both smallmouth were on white tubes in around 8-10' of water.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Alex,

Most of the smallies and largies were just over 2lb. we had 3 that were good 3lbers. Heck I was just lucky to catch more than 10 fish in a day let alone anything with size too it. The Armada of Bass boats in the area was something to behold. Talk about the "community" hole.

Gregg

·
Registered
33 Posts
I fished down by the Detroit River and caught about 20 smallies but couldn't get any over 3 lbs. Couldn't really do too much searching due to the hurricane force winds!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I fished Saturday and Sunday. Couldn't locate any smallies but managed to catch plenty of largemouth almost every where we went. Honorable mentions were 1, 16" walleye down at the mile roads , 1 Pike about 8lbs in front of Grosse Point Yacht Club and 1 Bowfin that went a little over 6lbs at the mouth of the Salt River.

We didn't fish any tournaments but our best 5 bass probably would have gone about 12 or 13 lbs.

Oh yeah, after leaving Clair on Sunday, I fished an inland lake near my house for more largies and I caught smallies......go figure

Thanks to the wind, I'll be spending the rest of the week putting my boat back together

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fishing is slooooow so far. I just thank god I have a day job! Fished just about the whole west shore from north to south with limited success. Tossed tubes, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, crankbaits and almost thought about breaking out some bobbers and worms but just wouldn’t let myself come to do it. Fishing the Tues. night GNT and this is the first time I think we’re really going to have to work for a limit. Good luck to everyone this season!

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
Hey East Coast,
From the sounds of things, we'd have probably cashed a check with our best 5!!!

Let's get Doug to do a St. Clair largemouth Open!!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Most of the fish we caught were in 9-10 ft of water (clear) with green, Tan and white tubes, and my biggest came off of a 5" senko wacky rigged (my favorite) Had one that caughed up a 5" minnow probably because my 3" tube was hooked deep. we were in between the 400 club and 9 mile tower, with the other 300 bass boats

·
Registered
203 Posts
Same story here, Saturday, tried all over the place, anchor bay, l'ance cruise bay, infornt of metro, by the cracker and in fisher bay. Spots that are usually productive resulted in zero. Was extremely rough, and unpleasant. Ended up with some large, bunch of perch and thats about it. Was asked by the dnr how we were doing in one of the bays, and told them, just as poorly as everyone else around us. He said he heard it was extremely slow for everybody and wished us better luck. And told us to make sure we always keep our fishing licenses on us as a reminder. Nice fella. total of 14 hours on the lake, and no descent fish to show for it.

Hopefully it will pickup soon.

On another hand, sunday, no boat, at metro, had alot of fun with my gf and my 5 yearold. But thats a story of it's own. Look for my metro post soon

P.S. Things never change. Again, peole anchored down in the mouth of clinton river and right in the channel itself ;( Where is the sheriff /coast guardies when you need them?

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Jun 21 2004, 04:11 PM)Doug has plans for a largemouth only tournament already......

Mini
I've heard about his LM trail plans, but maybe he could try the same format for an Open or two to see how much interest there is before anyone commits to a trail.

Just a thought

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(Ken Neeley @ Jun 21 2004, 05:16 PM)QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Jun 21 2004, 04:11 PM) Doug has plans for a largemouth only tournament already......

Mini
I've heard about his LM trail plans, but maybe he could try the same format for an Open or two to see how much interest there is before anyone commits to a trail.

Just a thought

It's going to be a single day tournament. I don't think the date has been set yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts