Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to join an active Bass club or two and start tournament fishing. I've done the usual research, and have talked to members of quite a few clubs. My question to the masses: What do you LOVE about your club? What keeps you coming back year after year? Is your club highly competetive come tournament time? Same partner each tournament? Blind draw? Is it necessary to join a club, or do you just fish Opens?

Some info on me...I'm a boat owner, live on the west side (Plymouth) and have a wife who is encouraging me to tournament fish (yes...I said encouraging me!). I look forward to your opinions and experiences...

·
Registered
666 Posts
I would take a look at what type of fishing you prefer and the waters you prefer to fish. Decide if you are going to fish opens, or just club tournaments.

I used to be in a club that fish around 10 club events a year. Once you add the Federation Classic Series, State Championship and an open or two and it go to be to much for to little time. That club was a lot of fun, and would fish all over.

Currently I am in a club that fishes 5 five weekends. The first one will be at Sandusky
Bay, then a two day event up north, a couple locals ending with another two day up north. The only thing I don't care for, is that the two day events are on two different bodies of water. For the people who have been in the club a while, that is fine as they have been to at least one of these lakes. We draw at our meeting for partners and basically everyone fishes with someone. If someone fishes alone, they then have to fish with others until everyone has fished alone.

The club is very competitive, but very open at the events with each other. At the away tournaments, the tournament director makes the lodging reservations for the entire club. There are no per tournament entry fees or money awards, just a plaque at the end of the year for the top three places at each event.

Everyone club is different, just have to find one that fits your style. It is out there, you just have to find it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
QUOTE(jcheetam @ Apr 21 2003, 05:47 PM)I'm looking to join an active Bass club or two and start tournament fishing. I've done the usual research, and have talked to members of quite a few clubs. My question to the masses: What do you LOVE about your club? What keeps you coming back year after year? Is your club highly competetive come tournament time? Same partner each tournament? Blind draw? Is it necessary to join a club, or do you just fish Opens?

Some info on me...I'm a boat owner, live on the west side (Plymouth) and have a wife who is encouraging me to tournament fish (yes...I said encouraging me!). I look forward to your opinions and experiences...
Please have your wife call my wife. LOL. I too am looking so I would hope you get more response. I have a boat but not a bass boat and feel that some clubs look down on you if you don't own a rocket boat. I can meet all the requirements of club fishing (boat set up/wells, ect) but feel I am in the "tuna" boat class. Not looking to be a pro but would like to get in some friendly competition.

·
Registered
927 Posts
dont let your boat hold you back. i fished with nbaa last season and i had by far, the smallest boat of anyone in the saturday st clair and the tuesday st clair divisions. i didnt let it stop me tho. i am also the smallest boat in any opens i fish. you dont need a fiberglass bass boat to fish for bass. i say go for it and dont let anyone else discourage you

madman himself

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last time I checked...the boat only gets you to the fish, it's up to you to catch them!

·
Registered
59 Posts
jcheetam,

like madman said don't let the boat hold you back. If you have a larger "tuna boat" you my only be able to fish the big waters, but there are plenty of opens and clubs that fish Erie, St. Clair, and the river.

Our club has anywhere from a 14 ft. alu. with a 25 horse on the back, to a 21 ft. with 200 horses on the back.

Show me a guy that looks down at someone that doesn't have a "Rocket boat", and i'll show you a guy that gets his butt whooped at the scales.

Find a club that fishes where you like to fish, and most of all have fun.

As you stated: the boat only gets you there, knowledge and time on the water get them in the box.

Good luck gnewski5

·
Registered
53 Posts
Our club is a small co-ed (many wives may not like this-but feel free to bring her along to meet everyone- so she knows we are only interested if BASS) We fish team tournaments... 3 on St Clair- 2 on inland lake this year, and 1st time checking out the concept of an early catch & release tournament on Kent for FUN. The boat won't matter as long as livewells can hold limit ALIVE and you can manuever with trolling motor. If we have enough boats for that tournament- you can go a s back up boater. IF ANY non boater complains about the boat- tell them to buy one
Feel free to give us a call.. next meeting is 30th 7:30 in Clinton Twp. Meetings during tournament season is at the ramp at each tournament

Sharon Leonardi
Michigan Bassin Bums & Babes
586 415 8731

·
Registered
320 Posts
jcheetam,

I am the President of the Oakland County Bass Anglers. This year I will be celebrating my 25th year as a member. Do I think we have a good club? You bet.

We will fish 6 points tournaments this year - 2 on St. Clair and 4 inland. We are limited to 30 members and fish for individual points. We use a blind draw to place non-boaters. We also have a team tournament (this year on St. Clair) and participate in the Michigan Bass Invitational tournament in September. We also have the classiest year end banquet around.

For more info see our website or drop me an email.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/4845/

Our next meeting is May 13th.

Regards,

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts