Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've decided to purchase a new bass boat this year and want everyones views on the different Makes of boats. I didn't think it would be as difficult to find comparisons, but I guess i was wrong. I here bad things about Nitro, but never from an owner. Stratos, Ranger and Nitro are my choices in that order. What makes one superior over the others in construction,customer service, ect. I don't understand the diff. between hand laid fiberglass or the chopping gun. Also, people hate wood, but some say you need some wood for strengh. Any insight would be greatly app'eciated. The boat i'm looking for is going to be at least 20' and have a 200hp on it. It's going to be for St. Clair and maybe Erie, so ride is more important than speed. Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
795 Posts
I've owned a Nitro and have ridden in a Stratos. The speed of the Nitro was top notch like wise with the Stratos. I now own a Ranger 195 DCDVS, and I love it. Not quite as fast, but the ride is solid and reliable. Ranger's may cost a few thousand more, but the resale value over time is great.
The Ranger family really knows how to take care of their owners. If you ever experience a problem, they will step up and take care of the issue.
E-mail myself or Dan Kimmel, we both run Rangers and we would be happy so answer and questions that you might have.
You can contact me @ [email protected]

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
fishinrob,

I have ridden in almost every major bass boat on the market. I have spent a considerable amount of time in all three brands you mention. I would be happy to discuss them with you. Just too much to type about. I will be at Outdoorama on Tuesday night, look for me.

Mini

·
Registered
206 Posts
You didn't mention it, but if I were you I'd seriously consider adding BassCat to the list. Those bad boys are one solid boat with a better ride on St. Clair when she's rough as you'll find with any bassboat out there. Construction is heads above most, and factory support is second to none.

Dave Carter

·
Registered
424 Posts
I fish big water only and I owned a 22’ Stratos was happy with the boat and Ficht motor was great, good gas mileage was very happy. Now I have a 21’ Javelin MSX Multi Spices good rough water boat with a 250 Yamaha the motor is a Gas Hog, research what you buy and get your info not from a sales person or a sponsor ride in them and ask friends, It’s a big investment chose wisely There all nice just what fits the pocket book.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
There is a new 250hp HPDI Yamaha that is alot easier on fuel. I havent driven one yet, but will let you know what I think about it come September. I have heard nothing but good stories.

Mini

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a 20' Javelin with 200hp Johnson. This boat is extremely stable. With a 96" beam, I feel comfortable running anywhere on Erie or St. Clair. The top end speed is right up there with any of the 20' in its class. It may not have all the bells and whistles as the "big name boats" but the performance is there.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The Yamaha they put on my boat was an 2002 0x66
I think it was made for an 28' boat it has all kinds of power in the
hole shot but will only go 53mph a 225 Ficht pushes the boat at 60 to 62 mph
a Yamaha 225 4 cycle pushes it at 57mph.
So that is what I said watch what the dealers through together for a good price,
once you sign the dotted line your done.
Mike
ErieAnglers.com

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the E-mails, I have a lot of research to do. Mini, are you just in Novi on Tuesday. I already had plans to go monday, but maybe I can change them. Again, thanks to all. Rob

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
You have to be careful when it comes to prop pitch too. It can severly affect hole shots and inversely top end speed. It works similar to the rear axle ratios on a truck.

Jim

·
Registered
371 Posts
Basslayer,

Your figures do not make sense. I have a 19' center console with a yamaha 150 066 and I push 53-54 mph on my gps.

Gregg

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Could be a different gear ratio lower unit. The forst to check is obviously the prop.

I will be in Novi and Tuesady for Big Fish Night. Bill "Mac" McElroy has a seminar @ 7:00 pm, I will be attending. I will also be there Sunday for my seminar @ 1:00 pm.

Mini

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, let me add my thoughts while we are on the subject,
I have a Stratos 21ss with a 225 and i would have to say its a great boat for rough water, it handles great and Ive talked to a few pro friends of mine and when it gets rough they would like to be in either a champ or a stratos, I like the way it cuts big water. Again it all comes to operator. I think you would be happy with a stratos. I heard the new Pro/XL are awesome.

see you on the water

Rich

·
Registered
424 Posts
The dealer put on 5 different props so far with no speed change just slower as they increased in size. The motor runs great Yamaha reps said it would do 70mph with a 27 pitch (no way) the best is a 23 pitch so far. When you pay ahead for tournaments for an early blast off and a 150 fly's by you and you just big money to go fast that is not cool.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
You do have to take into account what those 150's are attached to. I know that boat is not a speed demon, but you should get a little better performance.

Did you ask about the gearing in the lower unit? What kind of RPM's are you getting?

Mini

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Cameraguy's boat is a nice one too......I've known him for a long time and I know he takes care of his stuff,...I'd buy a boat from him knowing it was maintained well......that's worth a lot of peace of mind!!!

Mac

·
Registered
206 Posts
Bassslayer,

Let's see if we can figure out what the problem might be.

Let's get to your setup.

Do you have a 20" or 25" midsection on your outboard. Do you have a Jackplate? What is your RPM at top speed on flat water? What is your water pressure when you're at top speed? What is your outboard "trim" like at WOT. Do you have a roostertail at WOT, and if so, is it higher than the outboard?

If we can get some of these details maybe we can determine if you've a setup problem or a motor problem, or if it's just the nature of the boat.

Dave

1 - 20 of 31 Posts