Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
16,364 Posts
fishinrob,

I have ridden in almost every major bass boat on the market. I have spent a considerable amount of time in all three brands you mention. I would be happy to discuss them with you. Just too much to type about. I will be at Outdoorama on Tuesday night, look for me.

Mini

· Premium Member
16,364 Posts
Could be a different gear ratio lower unit. The forst to check is obviously the prop.

I will be in Novi and Tuesady for Big Fish Night. Bill "Mac" McElroy has a seminar @ 7:00 pm, I will be attending. I will also be there Sunday for my seminar @ 1:00 pm.

Mini

· Premium Member
16,364 Posts
You do have to take into account what those 150's are attached to. I know that boat is not a speed demon, but you should get a little better performance.

Did you ask about the gearing in the lower unit? What kind of RPM's are you getting?

Mini

· Premium Member
16,364 Posts
I would be willing to bet that due to the construction of the boat (read deeper hull) that the motor is a long shaft for the high transom height. That would give him (I am assuming here) a lower gear ratio, thus the good holeshot.

I am not that familiar with the Yamaha line up yet, but he should be able to get different gearing or a different lower unit to maych up with the long shaft motor.

Mini

· Premium Member
16,364 Posts
Good points Pauleye.....and it looks like you first post. Welcome.

I looked at the walleye style boats (I hate calling the walleye boats, maybe bigwater boats are a better term) and maybe I have been in bass boats too long, but the storage isnt there like it is for a bass boat, yes the ride CAN be better because of the configuration of the hull, but the shallow water fishability is not. There are trade offs in everything, but depending on where you do the majority of your fishing, the deep water boats might be bettter suited for you.

I am NOT knocking these boats, heck on some days I know that a 30 footer will get knocked around, but ALOT of it has to do with the driver...

Mini

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.