Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
16,364 Posts
I would be willing to bet that due to the construction of the boat (read deeper hull) that the motor is a long shaft for the high transom height. That would give him (I am assuming here) a lower gear ratio, thus the good holeshot.

I am not that familiar with the Yamaha line up yet, but he should be able to get different gearing or a different lower unit to maych up with the long shaft motor.

Mini

· Registered
99 Posts
John,

That's what I'm thinking too, but that 250 ought to push that thing better...

Might be something simple like needing a bit more engine height...especially if it's the 25" motor. Also could be that the particular props he's running isn't giving him enough bow lift to get the front end up...might be a combination of the two dynamics. If it were me I might try a nice 25 Trophy or Tempest on that sucker...see what that would do...Bassslayer said he got the best out of a 23 pitch, and that just doesn't compute with a 250....on any kind of bass/multi-specie boat that I've ever hear of...

Dave

· Registered
99 Posts
Saw where Bassslayer had posted on boatsetup.com back in Dec and Ken Cook basically came to the same conclusion...prop and engine height...theoretical speed with a 25 pitch prop at 5600 RPM @ 10% slip put's the rig somewhere above the 60 MPH range. The motor has a 1.81 gear ratio...dry weight is around 2100+ lbs for the hull...at 20' 7" long and 97" beam. I strongly suspect that the bow is being "buried" cause the props aren't carrying enough lift...especially if it's popping out of the hole really fast. Suspect Bassslayer's dealer is using Yamaha props...

Bassslayer, I've got a 26" High Five, and a 26" Trophy (Boger tuned) that I'll let you try once the water is soft if you want to see if it'll make any difference in top end...

Let me know...

Dave

· Registered
1,976 Posts
fishinrob,
Have you had a chance to check out me web pages on building Ranger bass boats yet? See:
http://hometown.aol.com/djkimmel/fishing/b.../buildboat1.htm to start 4 pages with pictures and text on some of what goes into every Ranger boat. It might give you some idea about what to ask the various boat dealer/brands.

Also, I have a page on the new stuff for 2003 that you might be interested in since it covers the new Ranger 521VX which I think may be an awesome Great Lakes boat from my test drives and going over the designs at the Ranger factory. Take a look at:
http://hometown.aol.com/djkimmel/fishing/ranger03.htm for some info on that boat.

If you have any questions about Ranger bass boats, I can either answer them or get you an answer. I've watched them build them from components to finished product. I was a nonboater for years and still ride in many friends boats of different makes, but I haven't toured their factories. I've talked to anglers who toured a couple. Rather than get into debate, I can provide some answers to what they mean when they say composite, or hand-laid, or chopper guns if you want. Some is covered on my website.

I will just say that I have a Ranger because I wanted a solid boat I knew I could depend on and be confident in for years to hold up to lots of Great Lakes use; One that would stay in good shape after those years and have good value still; One that handled rough water well; One that looked good on the trailer and on the water; And was comfortable and enjoyable to fish out of in a variety of waters. My 492VS is 10 years old - about 100 days a year on the road and water - a lot of the days on the Great Lakes - and just started showing it's 'age' some last year. There's a few cosmetic things that I'll touch up throughout this year to keep my boat looking good. Structurally, it's still going strong.

Now is a great time to buy. The latest 500 series models are even better with improved hulls that are faster, cut the water better and drier, and improve on the Ranger philosophy of building a very tough, 'one-piece unit' hull. If I were buying a new bass boat right now, fishing what I do, I'd buy the 521VX with a 225 or 250 Yamaha. It is a big investment, so be thorough in your questions and consideration so you hopefully end up happy with what you buy and feel you got what you wanted and needed.

· Registered
13 Posts
Before you spend that kind of Money on a bass boat to fish the big water go see the walleye (multispecies boats) available. The prices are comparable, as are the manufacturers
What you loose is 5-10 mph on flat water only and 6 inches of draft. If you think flat water is frequent on these lakes you need to look harder before you buy anything.

What do you gain. More and bigger livewells, smoother ride on rough water, a boat you sit and fish in not on and a boat designed for rough water.

These boats were design for big water not down south reserviors. I know there are bunches of bass boats on Lake St Clair and Lake Erie. If they were better suited to fishing those waters the Walleye pros would use them.

It's your money just make sure you make an informed decision.

· Premium Member
16,364 Posts
Good points Pauleye.....and it looks like you first post. Welcome.

I looked at the walleye style boats (I hate calling the walleye boats, maybe bigwater boats are a better term) and maybe I have been in bass boats too long, but the storage isnt there like it is for a bass boat, yes the ride CAN be better because of the configuration of the hull, but the shallow water fishability is not. There are trade offs in everything, but depending on where you do the majority of your fishing, the deep water boats might be bettter suited for you.

I am NOT knocking these boats, heck on some days I know that a 30 footer will get knocked around, but ALOT of it has to do with the driver...

Mini

· Registered
83 Posts
Rob,
Go to your dealer and ask to see a blue book preferably this years and last years and look up the boat brand and model closest to the ones you might be thinking of buying and check the depreciation over the last couple of years. I would look at the one that depreciated the least for starters.Then think which manufacture is constantly improving their boats. Then take a look at performance. Then look at quality, construction and warranty. Don't forget about the resale value, you may want to upgrade in a few years to a newer model. And safety, you want a boat that has a solid feel and that should remain upright and level should you ever become swamped. If you really want to know about Rangers e-mail me and I can give some insight that probaly no one else can.
[email protected]

· Registered
57 Posts
Wow, at last a Triton reaches this thread. I've only been fishing LSC/Erie for the last 2-3 years and my first bass boat I purchased was in 2000 (TR-186 w/125 Merc.). After one year of getting pounded by waves I decided to stay with Triton and move up to a TR-22 w/225 Merc. and I'll tell you one thing, I'll never own a bass boat smaller than 21ft. The only advice I can offer is to listen to all these guys because they have been fishing LSC/Erie a lot longer than me, so check out each and every boat mfg. your interested in and ask alot of questions. Just one other thing to remember, it's a big plus if you know how to drive a bass boat when it gets rough. Steve

· LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,435 Posts
Guess I'll throw my two cents in on this....

I've had the same boat, a Champion 190 DCX, for 9 years. This boat has been through hell and back in that time and has NEVER let me down. The co-angler's that I fish with in tournaments have always complimented me on the ride of this boat, too (...or is that due to my superior driving skills??....) And with the use/abuse she's been through, the durability certainly can't be questioned.

The Mariner 200 Magnum EFI has been great too. Yeah, it's showing it's age, and has had to have some transplants recently, but that is to be expected.

Doug C

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.