Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is not intended to blast anyone or start any wars, but what do you think is a good size for a keeper perch? and why? i'm hearing a lot of peeps keepin 7". my opinion would have to be at least 8"...only because of how slow its been the last couple yrs.
for example...one yr @ lk simcoe my buds were throwin back 10 inchers! the next yr i went and we were keepin 8". outa 15 guys and 15 limits one day, not one of them were over 12".

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Regardless of the lake or average size, anything under 8" is too much of a pain to clean. I won't judge others on what size they keep, but I measure my perch. If they're under 8" then back they go.

·
Registered
76 Posts
QUOTE(beever42 @ Jan 9 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>this is not intended to blast anyone or start any wars, but what do you think is a good size for a keeper perch? and why? i'm hearing a lot of peeps keepin 7". my opinion would have to be at least 8"...only because of how slow its been the last couple yrs.
for example...one yr @ lk simcoe my buds were throwin back 10 inchers! the next yr i went and we were keepin 8". outa 15 guys and 15 limits one day, not one of them were over 12".

When it comes to an eight inch perch, I can't get anything but a itty bitty stripa meat. Now an eight inch bluegill is different. I'll get a nice fat piece of meat that's kinda shaped like the state of Michigan and has two nice size scallops from the cheeks!

·
Registered
697 Posts
i tend to just eye ball it. if they look big enough they probably are. couple questions though. why do fish through the ice of a certain size look so much bigger than perch through open water of a certain size. a soft water 8 incher looks like a dink to me when i catch it but through the ice, it looks big. anyone else notice this? also, has anyone else found that when u start catching and immediatly releasing fish one after another that it kills the bite? i usually keep the fish on the ice until the bite slows or i feel that they are in danger of freezing. anyone else do this?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
When I go to leamington or simcoe, I through back anything under 81/2"
On lsc In my opinion if your getting some 8" and up perch, and you catch
some 7" I wouldn't through them back, keeping fish less than 6" is pretty
much a waste of time because they are harder to clean and there just isn't
much there when done.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
QUOTE(bluegiller @ Jan 9 2010, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(beever42 @ Jan 9 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>this is not intended to blast anyone or start any wars, but what do you think is a good size for a keeper perch? and why? i'm hearing a lot of peeps keepin 7". my opinion would have to be at least 8"...only because of how slow its been the last couple yrs.

When it comes to an eight inch perch, I can't get anything but a itty bitty stripa meat. Now an eight inch bluegill is different. I'll get a nice fat piece of meat that's kinda shaped like the state of Michigan and has two nice size scallops from the cheeks!

Bluegiller, I never tried the "scallops" from the cheeks of bluegill, but I will the next time I catch some. I've kept the walleye cheeks but never thought of the bluegill cheeks. Thanks!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think 8" and up is a good base - If the fishing is slow a fat 7-1/2 will work (it all depends on how bad I want a perch dinner that night)

I have seen anglers keeping some little ones - but, sometimes people have to learn for themselves that it is a pain and waste of time to clean a bucket of dinks -

QUOTE(beever42 @ Jan 9 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>this is not intended to blast anyone or start any wars, but what do you think is a good size for a keeper perch? and why? i'm hearing a lot of peeps keepin 7". my opinion would have to be at least 8"...only because of how slow its been the last couple yrs.

·
Registered
270 Posts
On a similar note - I have not brought any perch home yet this year becuase I have not pulled up more than 8 keepers at a time

My old standard was a bag of ten ( the way it is looking this year I am going to have to start keeping an open bag in the freezer and add as I go)

·
Registered
94 Posts
QUOTE(tai @ Jan 10 2010, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Eyeball it, but try to keep 8 and up

it all depends i usually try to keep anything 8 and over but the way things have been the past few years six and up is ok with me just scale and fry it whole picking meat is fine with me we're humans just cause of that doesnt mean we can't pick meat of bones

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
I see it like this, If your not working or trying to feed you family keep what you want as long as your within legal limits but if you can afford to eat a perch dinner out at a restaurant occasionally throw the dinks back. When I was growing up my Dad did not make much money so we kept every legal fish we caught. Now, I don't have to keep every legal fish I catch so I throw them back exept for a few walleye every now and then
. Nothing wrong with getting to eat fresh caught fish but no sense in keeping the little ones if you don't have to.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I usually end up with keeping perch that are 8.5", maybe a couple 8"ers if I need 1 or 2 more for a meal.

I don't carry a measuring stick with me...If I have to think about it, it goes back in the drink.

801 Posts
personaly I think there should be a size limit on perch of a minimum of 8" but Id like to see 10".
when they increased the bass size limit years back the average size and numbers of bass went up, Id bet it would work that way with perch's numbers and size and we all know we need more perch numbers and size.

when they raised the bass size limit out west everyone was up in arms about it but it wasnt long before we noticed a better fishery....just wondering how many thousands of 6" perch must die before DNR wisens up and puts a size limit on them.

enjoy your bait fish

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Jan 9 2010, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Regardless of the lake or average size, anything under 8" is too much of a pain to clean. I won't judge others on what size they keep, but I measure my perch. If they're under 8" then back they go.

DITTO!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mmmmm, what size to keep? Well, I guess contrary to what my wife tells me I guess size does matter. I only keep fish larger than 2". Now let me explain, it's been eons since I've caught a fish that even comes close to being over 2" so I can say that. So needless to say, I don't keep very many. Just kidding, I don't keep any fish.

·
3,236 Posts
Bass, musly,and pike etc. are predator species and did not evolve to exist in large numbers. Perch on the other hand had to reproduce in large numbers simply to sustain their species since they are heavily predated on. In these types of eater fish if you don't take enough of them their size can be stunted due to overpopulation. Their sure does not seem to be a shortage of perch just a shortage of the larger ones we like to fillet. Perhaps it is more of the commercial fishing, indian permits, and cormorant population that is taking more of a toll than we care to admit. Very rarely does a size limit on sport fishermen make a difference for a food fish type species as perch. I have been wrong before, will be wrong again, and am very likely worng right now, my disclaimer.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(Tony @ Jan 10 2010, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bass, musly,and pike etc. are predator species and did not evolve to exist in large numbers. Perch on the other hand had to reproduce in large numbers simply to sustain their species since they are heavily predated on. In these types of eater fish if you don't take enough of them their size can be stunted due to overpopulation. Their sure does not seem to be a shortage of perch just a shortage of the larger ones we like to fillet. Perhaps it is more of the commercial fishing, indian permits, and cormorant population that is taking more of a toll than we care to admit. Very rarely does a size limit on sport fishermen make a difference for a food fish type species as perch. I have been wrong before, will be wrong again, and am very likely worng right now, my disclaimer.

I agree 100% with tony, in a fish that is preyed upon imposing a size limit will only do harm as the population will over grow thus not only will mother nature take her course of action (disease) but you will see more smaller ones. Only so many of one species can live in an area and if they are not removed the species will not grow to full size.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts