Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Went out this morning to head over to Riverside to get breakfast. Absolutely beautiful crossing the lake (from JBM). Lot of boats out fishing looking for something over 56" (that's the new record, right?).

Headed up the South Channel, staying far to the right to keep my wake well away from those nice houses off the port side. Was cruising along at about 16 knots in 29' of water then all the sudden the boat started shuddering!! I quickly started to pull the throttles back and scan the gauges when I noticed I was in 2.9 ft of water!!! quickly wheeled over to port and within 10' it seems I was back in 29+ ft of water. I had drifted just barely off channel (no markers in that part of the river, and the weeds are well off to the starboard side).

Rev'd up the port engine, worked ok. Rev'd up the stbd engine and almost shook the boat in peices.

After insuring I could maneuver with boat engines at idle (or close to it), we continued on to Riverside and had breakfast, but it was a SLOW trip back across the lake on one engine.

NO ONE told me that breakfast at Riverside was going to be SOOOO expensive!!

Seeing as I probably have a bent shaft or damaged prop,.... any suggestions on places to straighten a 1.375" ss shaft? A couple years ago I had both props PROPSCAN'd, so I'll probably use them to fix the prop (if fixable)

No boating tomorrow for me!!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Sorry to hear about your "meeting" with the bottom... Hope the repairs aren't too expensive.

Most areas of the river system (vs the lake) have steep drop-offs along the channels... you can be in 40 ft of water and in 10 ft of travel even be aground in some areas. If you don't know the river, learn to "read" the water by color (deeper blues = deep, lighter blues, greens, and tans = shallow).. Riffles on the surface of the water that appear different from the surrounding water usually indicate something under the surface (pilings, wrecks, old seawalls). The "inside" of curves in the river generally have more gradual shallowing, but are also where shoals form. The "outside" of river curves generally are the deeper and better channel, but it's also where the river goes from deep to shallow very quickly as you get closer to shore.

A GPS chartplotter will keep you out of harms way, in most instances (if you pay attention to it), but NEVER, EVER, count on a depthfinder or depth alarm... by the time you react to it going off in the river, you'll have already hit bottom or worse.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've gone up this way so many times (and just did again last Thursday). I must have always been just a couple feet from the dropoff and not known it. I've had this boat for 18 years, and other than rubbing the bottom a couple times coming out of Fisher bay or on a little sandbar getting into a friend's dock, have never had an issue like this.

Any suggestions on places to straighten the shaft (if that's what I need)... it's 1.375"

Hopefully pulling it out today to check the damages

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The only place I've ever dealt with (after my Dad took the boat out and hit a refrigerator) is in Algonac... that was 30yrs ago..
Henry H Smith & Co - www.henrysmith.com
1880 Fruit St, Clay - (810) 794-4222

·
Registered
32 Posts
There's a good prop guy in Detroit on E. Warren called Johnny's Boat Propeller Service. The lasted time I used him was about 10 years ago, haven't need any prop work sinced I downsized to a 20 footer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.