Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
i just asked this question about a week ago. with mine, the tag was removed, but if you take the engine cover off, there will be a round disc shaped piece with some letters and numbers.

if you find it and still unsure about it, you can call and ask either local marine shops, or you can ask people on here.

GL

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
QUOTE(jscola @ Aug 27 2009, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>is there a way to tell what year a outboard was made

the motor is a 8hp johnson: Joe
Yes, With Johnson/Evinrude it is coded in the model number (I'm not sure what the year range is that this works - maybe 1974,5? to about 1990's - help me out if anyone knows for sure).

I'll show you by "decoding" mine - J10RCID

That is a Johnson - "J" ("E" is Evinrude)
9.9 hp - "10"
recoil start - "R" (guess what electric start would be...)
year code - "CI" now comes the fun part ...
write the word "I-N-T-R-O-D-U-C-E-S"; then write a number "1" under the "I", 2 under "N" and so forth, the "S" gets a zero,
so "CI" - '81
can't remember what the "D" signified...
and that's what it is (verified by Carl's boats and motors - SCS) a 1981 Johnson 9.9 with recoil start

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
So I pulled out the Seloc manual...
"In 1980, OMC changed the serial numbering system of their outboard units. The word INTRODUCES was used and a number assigned to each letter of the word as follows:"
...code is as stated previously. I don't know if they continue this practice today, manual covers 1971 to 1989.
The manual states (prior to 1980) "The model number establishes the year in the engine was produced..." but does not go on to explain "decoding" the model number (real helpful -
).
checking the spec section shows Johnsons as having model numbers ending in -xx, the xx being the model year (-77 for example). Evinrude got a bit tricky (in the seventies) with a four or five digit number where the first one (or two) digits was the hp rating, the next digit was the last number of the year ("3" for 1973) and the remaining digits -
beats me.
As for that LT-39... ever consider "Antiques Road Show"? (J/K - I love OMC's - they literally run forever if you take decent care of them).

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Scott, you should contact the SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTE with that one. They may want it. Some collector may go nuts over it also. I,d take a shot at e-bay with it. put up an outragious reserve and see what happens.If you don't get enough to replace it, you're not out anything.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Scott,
I've heard of the ELTO (Evinrude Light Twin Outboard), but never a Johnson with the LT designation (but I'm not all that knowledgeable about the extremely old outboards, either). I assume its a twin? You may actually have a relatively rare motor there (early WWII - think about it), which may be worth quite a bit of money to a collector. If it's an heirloom (or you just really like it), then it may not matter to you, but it might be worth a little research to find out what it's worth (if nothing more than insurance value). There is a guy in Wisconsin or Minnesota that is kinda the "guru" of the old American made outboards, maybe worth looking him up (sorry I don't have a website to refer).
Please post a pic of it when it's done. Now you need to get a vintage (looking) wooden boat (I'm thinking 12' cedarstrip) to hang it on so you can show it at the boatshow or the Cedarville vintage (wooden) boat rallye.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I would get that motor appraised scott. especilly if it's stock and runs. It's value may shock you.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
well it's not running yet but i have parts coming for it from texas. well i have a lot of work to do on it but it will be all stock. i'll find out what it's worth. i am on a couple antique outboard fourms and have worked on them before. here's another pic of it on a stand i built for perch chaser (jeff)
Wood Engineering Machine tool Machine Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(scotts fishing @ Aug 28 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Iscola what is the numbers on your motor i'll try to find out what you have???

Scotts Fishing, The motor is a johnson 8-hp model# J8RLCEC Serial# B7957413 MANUFACTURED IN BELGIUM. Also, What would be a fair price to sell it for? I wan't to sell it & get a bigger motor for my 16ft row boat. Thanks: Joe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.