Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoow far from the bottom of the boat should the prop on a outboard be in the water ? I have a long shaft motor on a 16 ft rowboat & the prop comes out of the water when I am on plane & hitting some large waves. And is there anyplace to fish for perch & wallie close to shore from my boat ? My motor is too small to go out to the st. clair light. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Well for bass boat performance purposes, they typically recommend 3.5" below the pad. But on your application, I'd say just keep it in the water best you can. As long as your water pickup stays in the water most of the time, roll with it. Can you lower the motor on the transom?

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
It sounds like you have a short shaft not a long shaft. The cavitation plate should be at or below the bottom of the transom. Measure from the top of your motor's mounting clamp bracket down to the cavitation plate. If its 20" then you have a long shaft, if it's 15" then you have a short shaft.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Aug 24 2009, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It sounds like you have a short shaft not a long shaft. The cavitation plate should be at or below the bottom of the transom. Measure from the top of your motor's mounting clamp bracket down to the cavitation plate. If its 20" then you have a long shaft, if it's 15" then you have a short shaft.

zib speakith the truth.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I measured the motor shaft & it measures 20" & the cavitation plate is just above the bottom of the transom. I just put a new transom on the boat. Imight have to cut the opening on the transom a bit more. : Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.