Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my boat for 3 seasons. I am the 4th owner. The outdrive was serviced a few years before I purchased the boat... What I was wondering about is.... Should I have the impeller replaced and align the outdrive?
I called Propeller Basin and was told that it would cost me $250.00 to have this done... Has anyone ever had their boat worked on before at Propeller basin which is right on the Salt River near my well???

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Unless you trailer your boat, I would at least have your outdrive serviced.

Check everything out, u-joints... grease fittings, change lube, etc...

I think Schmid's in New Baltimore charges me $100.00 for this... (I just think its's worth it before you put it in the water) Not sure about the impeller, I had mine replaced last year, but can't remember $$

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Wouldn’t be a bad idea to have it done preventive maintenance... Especially while it’s out of the water better than taking an over heating chance and having to be towed.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If i were you, I would not hesitate on getting the drive serviced at least once a year. I understand the impeller can dry out and rot from lack of use.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(daileyinterest @ Apr 19 2004, 09:24 AM)If i were you, I would not hesitate on getting the drive serviced at least once a year. I understand the impeller can dry out and rot from lack of use.

Jimbo, Jimbo, Jimbo,,,

ALways stirring the pot...

And I'm still finding used dry rot things laying around in the boat from you....

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(HazyMemory @ Apr 19 2004, 09:22 AM)what type of drive do you have?
I do trailer the boat but I don't want to take it out of the water once it's in...

Hazy I got you PM...... I'll get right back to ya...

My outdrive is a Merc Cruser Alpha 1 ....

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(daileyinterest @ Apr 19 2004, 10:24 AM)I understand the impeller can dry out and rot from lack of use.

beat me to it!!!

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(28SS @ Apr 19 2004, 11:52 AM)bring it by the house (rochester) and I'll change it for you
for free! just get impellar 26$
Thanks for the offer of changing the impellar... I just hate to tow the boat that far.....

I'd rather pay you to come over to Chesterfield to change it...
I called Schmidt Marina and he wants..
$65 labor
$65 for either the part or something else
$21 for psrt I think??
$15 if he needs other small parts.

$166.00 total..
Maybe I should just take it over there?? Not to far from my house.....

Hammer, oh never mind...... haha

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
My Humble Opinion:

The guys at Schmid's do a GREAT job. They put TLC into everything they do.

They are slower than mollasses in an ice storm.

See when they can have it back to you.

Also, don't expect a warm, fuzzy customer servicey feeling... They are fresh out. They did just get a new shipment of sarcasm!

They are a little bit like the soup nazi!
But I am glad that they work on my boat, they do a great job and that is all that matters!

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(waxonwaxoff @ Apr 19 2004, 03:44 PM)My Humble Opinion:

Also, don't expect a warm, fuzzy customer servicey feeling... They are fresh out. They did just get a new shipment of sarcasm!

But I am glad that they work on my boat, they do a great job and that is all that matters!
Tom told me about a week to get it back.....

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I change my impeller every 2 years, as preventitive maintenance. Mercruiser has a kit, and it's not very hard to do, on a Bravo 1 anyway. I don't know anything about Alpha drives...but how much different can they be?

Towing a boat to Rochester isn't all that bad, PF, just do it early in the morning before the traffic heats up!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
QUOTE(The Perfect Fit @ Apr 19 2004, 06:57 PM)QUOTE(waxonwaxoff @ Apr 19 2004, 03:44 PM) My Humble Opinion:

Tom told me about a week to get it back.....
i tow mine with a jimmy its only got a v6 in it does the job . just take your time and dont worry about people behind you..

I would think mechanic would be able to give you a exact price i wouldnt care for anwsers like well might be extra if i need other parts.. I had mine done volvo was 120.00 but that was in the boat on front of engine, Saving money is all good but sometimes a warranty on work is nice too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just email when you want to do it. Have vouu changed the gear oil?
I could do that @ same time. where approx in chesterfeild
Eric

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(The Perfect Fit @ Apr 19 2004, 09:20 AM)I have had my boat for 3 seasons. I am the 4th owner. The outdrive was serviced a few years before I purchased the boat... What I was wondering about is.... I called Propeller Basin and was told that it would cost me $250.00 to have this done... Has anyone ever had their boat worked on before at Propeller basin which is right on the Salt River near my well???

Should I have the impeller replaced and align the outdrive?

Yes, thats supposed to be aligned every hundred hours.

I also replace my impeller every season, just to be on the safe side.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First, I don't know how to do it unless I watch someone do it first to the outdrive...
Second I appreciate everyones help..
Third, I've towed the boat all over,,, It's not the towing that bothers me, it's the time... I work way to many hours... Thanks 2bss for wanting to do the job for me..
Waxonwaxoff said that Schmid's does a great job...
I think that I'm going to take it to the dealers and for $166. have peace of mind and let them do it. Let them split the outdrive, install the impeller, align the outdrive and so on. Yes I have already replaced the lower unit gear lube but they will have to replace it again to work on the unit.... They said 1 week but if it takes 2, so what.. I can't get into my well until May 1st anyhow...
Maybe between now and next year I can learn how to do the job and then if needed next year do it myself...
Thanks all for you knowledge and helpful support...
Hammer can I practice changing the impeller on your boat???

1 - 20 of 37 Posts