Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever had a outdrive sandblasted or know someone who does this type of work ? Or know of a good paint stripper which will remove the original Mercruiser paint from Bravo 1 drives ?

ed

G

·
How bad is the corrosion?
I have repainted mine in the past. A little bit of sanding. Primer. Then paint. Make sure you buy the Mercury Phantom Black (I think that is the name).
And any Merc dealer will sell you the new decals. I suggest Discount Marine Parts on John R. just south of 13 mile. Sherwood, at Discount, REALLY has great prices.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Does Mt Clemens painter's supply carry paint like that ?
May be able to get it for you. You would get a much nicer, closer to factory finish if you painted it with an actual spay gun.

Snadblasting may get in everything, unless you can totally remove the case. Then you can go to a place on groesbeck, 15-16 mile on west side. The did alot of car parts for me.

Or if you know anyone who works in a tool shop, have him take it in, blast it with glass beeds, will give a nice smooth finish.

make sure you use an etching primer, or Zinc chromate primer, if you can still find it. you will need it to adhere to the aluminum properly. I am sure any paint / marine store can steer you in the right direction for that.

Check mercruiser online too

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
convincor, you're right about discount marine on John R. Their prices are great and they know their products. I see guys walk in to that store with fifty year old outboards and they have parts for it.
fast eddie, I'll check the place on Grosebeck

thanks,
ed

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The place on Groesbeck is called Strip it. The phone number is 586-492-7705.
Talk to Stacy. He is the owner. Really great guy. They do great work also. I actually am dropping some car parts off to them today after work.
Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts