Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
I have no experience with them... I will ask if anyone has had any...
I am sure hammer, p29, whiz, ect.... may have some info on them.

Just for s&g, did you check out there manf web site?
There should be some info there.
like warranty..... how long it is
manf re-calls
typical problems (tied i with warranty work ect..)
may be links to help you research them, like a lemon law searc or something.....
Just trying to help...

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Convincor253 @ Mar 28 2003, 05:34 PM)YAMAHA???????????????????????

Mercruiser (Mercury) all the way buddy!
can I replace if I buy the boat?????????? Is it costly?????????????

G

·
Here's another thing to consider...

Every marine shop services Mercruiser. My last boat had an OMC King Cobra drive and there were 3 shops in the area (from downriver to harrison twp) who would touch it, and they were also Merc. shops. I have no idea who services Yamaha drives around here, but I have a feeling it would be like trying to find a Fiat dealer in the area.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Da%^....the boat is in perfect condition.........WHAT TO DO

200 hours on the thing...the only thin wrong I can find in the Outdrive.

What if I buy it...arrange to have the outdrive UMM missing and replace it

Seriously. Immaculant boat.!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Is this an outboard motor? Or a an I/O?

I would guess a Yamaha outbord, I don't think I have ever seen an I/O from Yamaha.

G

·
You might try calling around to a few marine shops, they might be able to give you some info on them. Try posting on Boatered.com on the Engines forum. George Van Parys is the moderator and knows everything about boat engines there is to know. I'm sure he'd be able to give you some info on them.

I did a search on Boattraderonline and there are only a handful of Yamaha I/O boats (out of 95,000). Looks like they were offered maybe 91 - 96, many of them Chaparrels and Renkens. Apparently they were not offered by the higher volume mfrs. I guess that doesn't mean it's a bad drive, but I'd be worried if they haven't been making them for 7 or more years, and they weren't that popular when they were being made.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been taking around town...not to many good comments. It's a shame cause its a Cruisers Inc.

They only good comments that I've had is well your insurance will cover it... and well they have large strong gears...shouldn't have any problems.

Still researching will look at that board. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Bill....helpfull

Sounds like the guy is in the same situation!

OFfer the guy a real low price...Run it aground...have the insurance pay for a BIII

Just kidding of course!

The boat is really awesome. Still researchin. Found a marina in Fenton the can get part...3 to 6 x the cost of Merc though

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a used boat last summer with a yamaha outdrive and engine. It is a 1993. I did not do my home work and am now finding out how hard it is to come by parts and find some one to work on it. Now that said I was told by one mechanic that it is well built. We only used it three times and it ran very well. Still waiting to get it out this spring. You can go iboats.com on the i/o's forum and post or search the forum there. The one I bought only had 64hrs on the motor and it to is in excellent shape. I hope everyday that I don't have problems with it. Goodluck with your decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a follow up. I spoke with prop and sail and they said that if the outdrive does have a problem you are stuck. No one is supporting them. Made my day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.