Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having probs in outlook and found that I had to rename the folders.dbx file to folders.old file

WELL
, it seems that I need to retrieve some of the data (sent & deleted emails from a few years ago) that is in the now named folders.old file

How can I open this file? tried w/notepad and it was encrypted

any other suggestions????

many thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good idear

however - how can I import the now renamed file into outlook?
the file>import command does not give me a folder option

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
ooh yeah.. it tries to get everything, doesn't it?

I know I did it before.... but now that I think of it, I brought it back into Outlook express, somehow.

I think I created a new folder in OE, and paid attention to how it named the file for that folder, and whre it put it. Then I tricked it, by replacing that file, with my original file.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds like it may work, and I tried it, but don't think I did it right.

if you get a chance Mike can you call me and give me a quick walk-through - pm me for my # if you don't have it

I'll tell you an entertaining story of what happened to me yesterday, and why I need to access the files in this folder that'll be worth your time for the phone call and advice alone

here's a hint: JAMES BOND
<_<

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
QUOTE(Shandog @ Apr 8 2004, 07:35 AM)JAMES BOND

Ninja, MASTER Ninja

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
She could have used your Ninja powers, or better yet, a good old fashioned "Soprano Slap Around". Not for Shannon, but for James Bond.

Mini

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
I don't know the "James Bond" story, but if anyone here ever need my abilities, the thumb is available.

I am NINJA...I can kill with my thumb

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when all is said and done I'll spill the beans, or Mini can tell you Ken

gotta keep
right now about it online though - but I had one HELL of an experience in my home yesterday

back to the outlook express issue - any suggestions?
Capt'n Mike?
Pah-leeze....

·
12,052 Posts
If you create a new folder under 'local folders' like lscn for example in will make a .dbx file for that folder. Dont know what OS your using so I cant give you the path, but if you renamed your existing one, you should know it. Take your old file you renamed .old and rename it to the new .dbx and put it in that folder. That way you don't corrupt your main 'in box' but might have access to the emails in the other folder. It happened to me and it was corrupted so I was NEVER able to get the emails. Make sure you do all your updates online from microsoft too. I'm assuming you already have IE 6.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Doh! First time I was on the site since this morning, so I didn't see the urgent plea for help. PM me next time, or if you still need help.

Hammer's desctructions seem right on... but if that inbox is corrupt, yeah, you're totally hosed.

On that note, I think I'll back up my mailbox tonight!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need a walk through - I'm afraid I'll corrupt my existing files and I need them or my @$$ is grass

HELP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts