Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been a lifelong mushroom hunter and a few years ago I was introduced to Ramps. For those of you that don't know about them, they're delicious and the first wild edible that comes up in the spring. A couple years back I met Jenny from Michigan Out of Doors and as we were talking the topic of wild edibles came up, she said she had never gone Ramp hunting before and asked if I would be interested in doing a segment for the show...SURE! So my son and I went with her to film the segment. Which can be seen here
. the actual segment starts at the 18:25 mark in the video. It was really fun to take part in the filming of the show. Anyway, this isn't really a set recipe as one would normally follow as it's a simple method of preparing a delicious pasta dish using Ramps. But these measurements are a good place to start and can be adjusted for more than 2-3 servings...Depending on your appetite.

Items needed:
2-3 cups chopped Ramps (cleaned and washed cut into 1-2 inch lengths)
Pasta: any spaghetti is fine. But I prefer a really good quality pasta (the kind that comes in the nests), Riscossa and La Pasta di Camerino are my favorites in Fetuccine or Tagliatelle.
Olive oil 2-3+ TBS for cooking
2 TBS crushed Pistachios
Pinch Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Since this comes together pretty fast it's a good idea to have your pasta going when you get your Ramps started. In a large skillet over medium/high heat add 2-3 TBS Olive oil, let it get hot and add your Ramps. Sauté for a few minutes until the start to wilt. reduce heat to medium and season with Salt and Pepper, add Red pepper flakes and crushed Pistachios. Continue to sauté for a couple minutes. By now your pasta should be done(it's a timing thing), drain and add to the skillet, toss to coat. You may want to add tablespoon or two more Olive oil if desired (I usually do). Serve with fresh Italian bread or a nice Baguette...DELICIOUS!

Some pics of Ramps in the wild along with freshly harvested and cleaned Ramps.

Plant Ingredient Fines herbes Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Flowering plant Trunk
Plant Terrestrial plant Wood Grass Groundcover
Plant Terrestrial plant Natural material Ingredient Produce
Food Plant Ingredient Dishware Terrestrial plant
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Flowering plant Grass family

Reactions: saugtom
1 - 1 of 1 Posts