Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much anyone who ice fishes LSC can agree with me that the parking situation is horrible. Access points are slowly being taken away, and the rates at some the few accesses we have are being jacked up. My main question is, is there any free parking at all? PM me if you don't want the whole world to know

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE(gillslayer @ Jan 10 2010, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Pretty much anyone who ice fishes LSC can agree with me that the parking situation is horrible. Access points are slowly being taken away, and the rates at some the few accesses we have are being jacked up. My main question is, is there any free parking at all? PM me if you don't want the whole world to know

Wait till after 5pm and sneak into metro? You can park at the little park on ballard for free I think but its a little walk to the lake

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(weakender @ Jan 10 2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can definitly agree with paying to park to access our public water ways. So if theres any homeowners near cotton road I sure wouldn't mind bieng there new freind...

Ditto, someone could make a killing offering an access point to ice fishermen. They don't even have to have parking, just allow ice fishermen to access the lake through their yard for a couple bucks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
QUOTE(gillslayer @ Jan 10 2010, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(weakender @ Jan 10 2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can definitly agree with paying to park to access our public water ways. So if theres any homeowners near cotton road I sure wouldn't mind bieng there new freind...

Ditto, someone could make a killing offering an access point to ice fishermen. They don't even have to have parking, just allow ice fishermen to access the lake through their yard for a couple bucks.

I may be wrong, but i think there is a liabilty issue charging,then allowing people to access water/ice through your property? maybe/maybe not...not sure

·
Registered
526 Posts
There is a twsp park a mile or two south of shook on Jefferson, the twsp closed it because of the trash and other stupid behavior, I've not been by there this year so don't know what the situation is now.

Brandenburg park is free in the winter, and sometimes the fishing is pretty good there, especially when the ice gets out a ways and you can get out to the weed beds.

During the week the DNR launches at crocker and south river are unmanned, at least they were in the past, maybe it's different now.

Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I don't agree with the public access sites charging during the winter, the lakes are public property, the facilities aren't usable. As far as people who own waterfront property, there's just way too much "this is mine and you can't touch it" happening these days. As far as places like Genos charging $5 a day to park is ridiculous $2 is fair $5 is outragous. Greed is a bad thing people. I won't give places like Genos that kind of money to park, there's alot of other places to park for free. A couple bucks is fair 5 is being greedy. The party stores at Cotton rd? Hey, here's an idea, why don't the stores start this policy...You go into the store and spend a minimum of $5 on pop and snacks, sandwiches or whatever and you get a daily permit to park. Want to get out on the ice really early? Like before the store opens, stop in the night before and buy your stuff and get your permit, days ahead of time if needed, just let them know what day/s your going to fish (multiple days within reason please) and they can write the date/s on the permit, cars without permits get ticketed. Now isn't that simple?

·
Registered
76 Posts
QUOTE(gillslayer @ Jan 10 2010, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Pretty much anyone who ice fishes LSC can agree with me that the parking situation is horrible. Access points are slowly being taken away, and the rates at some the few accesses we have are being jacked up. My main question is, is there any free parking at all? PM me if you don't want the whole world to know

There is a park in new baltimore and can park for free. I don't know the name of the rod it's on but if you go four blocks west of there, there is a marina called Scmidt Marina. You HAVE to park on the main road but the access to get in there is only about six houses down. I kill the panfish and perch in there and the perch can get pretty big. I haven't been there yet this year but I'll bet it's hot and noones ever there. The lagoon is across the road from the marina and sometimes is good for perch.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Also you can park for free at rudesille in ira and free parking at vanecian. You can park for free at the side of selfridge tackle and the end of hall road dnr. I have a buddy that lives at the end of cotton so Im pretty lucky.

·
Registered
209 Posts
QUOTE(rubbnsmoke @ Jan 10 2010, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't agree with the public access sites charging during the winter, the lakes are public property, the facilities aren't usable. As far as people who own waterfront property, there's just way too much "this is mine and you can't touch it" happening these days. As far as places like Genos charging $5 a day to park is ridiculous $2 is fair $5 is outragous. Greed is a bad thing people. I won't give places like Genos that kind of money to park, there's alot of other places to park for free. A couple bucks is fair 5 is being greedy. The party stores at Cotton rd? Hey, here's an idea, why don't the stores start this policy...You go into the store and spend a minimum of $5 on pop and snacks, sandwiches or whatever and you get a daily permit to park. Want to get out on the ice really early? Like before the store opens, stop in the night before and buy your stuff and get your permit, days ahead of time if needed, just let them know what day/s your going to fish (multiple days within reason please) and they can write the date/s on the permit, cars without permits get ticketed. Now isn't that simple?

Except that lakeside party store at Cotton Rd. just doesn't like ice fishermen; they don't want our bussiness at all

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
QUOTE(Capt. Morbid @ Jan 11 2010, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(rubbnsmoke @ Jan 10 2010, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't agree with the public access sites charging during the winter, the lakes are public property, the facilities aren't usable. As far as people who own waterfront property, there's just way too much "this is mine and you can't touch it" happening these days. As far as places like Genos charging $5 a day to park is ridiculous $2 is fair $5 is outragous. Greed is a bad thing people. I won't give places like Genos that kind of money to park, there's alot of other places to park for free. A couple bucks is fair 5 is being greedy. The party stores at Cotton rd? Hey, here's an idea, why don't the stores start this policy...You go into the store and spend a minimum of $5 on pop and snacks, sandwiches or whatever and you get a daily permit to park. Want to get out on the ice really early? Like before the store opens, stop in the night before and buy your stuff and get your permit, days ahead of time if needed, just let them know what day/s your going to fish (multiple days within reason please) and they can write the date/s on the permit, cars without permits get ticketed. Now isn't that simple?

Except that lakeside party store at Cotton Rd. just doesn't like ice fishermen; they don't want our bussiness at all

That's OK, because they won't be getting any more of my business, not even in the summer when I'm at my buddy's boat right up the road. I'll buy my snacks and refreshments elsewhere from now on, and I encourage everyone else to do the same and spread the word. Hell, if they really want to be that way, fine, maybe they don't realize that there are many of us that would frequent their store during the summer boating season....not any more, not me anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts