Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
I recently received three emails that appeared to be from PayPal, asking me to update my information or else my account would expire. These messages come from "PayPal.com" and look pretty authentic.

The body of the message is as follows;

QUOTEDear PayPal member,

We regret to inform you that your account is about to be expired in next five business days. To avoid suspension of your account you have to reactivate it by providing us with your personal information.

To update your personal profile and continue using PayPal services you have to run the attached application to this email. Just run it and follow the instructions.

IMPORTANT! If you ignore this alert, your account will be suspended in next five business days and you will not be able to use PayPal anymore.

Thank you for using PayPal.

This message is a fraudulent attempt to get your account information! Delete the message!!

Here is what PayPal says about it;

At PayPal, protecting your account's security is our top priority. Recently, fraudulent PayPal emails have been circulating that request personal information or ask you to download an attachment. These emails are not from PayPal and responding to them may put your account at risk. We want to remind you to protect your PayPal account by paying close attention to the emails you receive.

Please use the following clues to help determine whether an email you receive is from PayPal.
Greeting: Emails from PayPal will address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. Fraudulent emails often include the salutation "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member".

Email Attachments: PayPal representatives will never ask you to download an attachment or a software program from an email. Attachments contained in fraudulent emails often contain viruses that may harm your computer or compromise your PayPal account.

Request for Personal Information: If we require information from you, we will notify you in an email and request that you enter the information only after you have securely logged in to your PayPal account from https://www.paypal.com/.

Often, fraudulent emails will request details such as your full name, account password, credit card number, bank account, PIN number, Social Security Number, or mother's maiden name.
If you think that you have received a fraudulent email, please forward the email to [email protected] and then delete the email. Never click any links or attachments in a suspicious email.

To learn more about how to protect your PayPal account, please review our Security Tips.

link to site

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
I also received the same email.. I started to fill it out and then the light bulb came on and I thought it was going to be a cold day in hell before I would ever give out that type of information online...
Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Also, I've gotten the same thing from EBay and Yahoo.....I forwarded the bogus emails to both parties and they replied back with it wasn't from them.....

Gotta be careful <_<

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem.

Head's up again for those getting home and reading their mail.

(btw, I got the message AGAIN)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I signed up for PayPal recently b/c I am addicted to E-Bay (i have a problem) and I received 5 of those emails!!! I dont know who would want my VISA numbers, they're all maxed out anyway....tis the season!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
this one too....

especially on Aol.

someone will send you an order confirmation from 1800 flowers.com. Then it states: .. if this is an error, please log in...sending you to a website quite similar to the original. The only reason why I didn't type in my personal information was because luckily I happend to look up at the url in the explorer bar....and then realized I wasn't in their website. Otherwise, would have had access to much personal info...

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
tis the season for scammers , any one see that guy on fox 2 hall of shame about donate your boat to help find missing kids? scammer was keeping all the money for him self...

that and we had a ad in boat trader someone calls me and asks if i want to renew my ad for a discount price iam like sure go ahead and bill me guys like i need your charge # , told him you should have it from last time .so he still asks for it for verifcation.told him nope you give me you extension at boat trder and il call you back.anwser was oh my phone wont take incomming calls.
my reply was f you ,,and hung up.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Nov 20 2003, 12:35 PM)I recently received three emails that appeared to be from PayPal, asking me to update my information or else my account would expire. These massages come from "PayPal.com" and look pretty authentic.

The body of the message is as follows;

QUOTEDear PayPal member,

We regret to inform you that your account is about to be expired in next five business days. To avoid suspension of your account you have to reactivate it by providing us with your personal information.

To update your personal profile and continue using PayPal services you have to run the attached application to this email. Just run it and follow the instructions.

IMPORTANT! If you ignore this alert, your account will be suspended in next five business days and you will not be able to use PayPal anymore.

Thank you for using PayPal.

This message is a fraudulent attempt to get your account information! Delete the message!!

Here is what PayPal says about it;

At PayPal, protecting your account's security is our top priority. Recently, fraudulent PayPal emails have been circulating that request personal information or ask you to download an attachment. These emails are not from PayPal and responding to them may put your account at risk. We want to remind you to protect your PayPal account by paying close attention to the emails you receive.

Please use the following clues to help determine whether an email you receive is from PayPal.
Greeting: Emails from PayPal will address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. Fraudulent emails often include the salutation "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member".

Email Attachments: PayPal representatives will never ask you to download an attachment or a software program from an email. Attachments contained in fraudulent emails often contain viruses that may harm your computer or compromise your PayPal account.

Request for Personal Information: If we require information from you, we will notify you in an email and request that you enter the information only after you have securely logged in to your PayPal account from https://www.paypal.com/.

Often, fraudulent emails will request details such as your full name, account password, credit card number, bank account, PIN number, Social Security Number, or mother's maiden name.
If you think that you have received a fraudulent email, please forward the email to [email protected] and then delete the email. Never click any links or attachments in a suspicious email.

To learn more about how to protect your PayPal account, please review our Security Tips.

link to site
This is legit!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts