Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tried to load win xp on friends pc , wich originally came with win 98, and all i get is error messages now tried upgrade to win me first no problem but xp wont load up , keep getting error messages , any suggestions? please. here is error i get.and what i did after trying to install.
I entered windows ME on the black screen over the windows XP, that was the only alternative i had for ! computer info Compaq PC
Processor-Celeron; 566/66MHz; 192 Memory
Error Message from XP:
ERROR SYS DLL Syntax error in manifest or policy file
E/I386/asms/1000/MSFT/Windows/GDIPLUS/GDIPLUS.MAN on Line 4
Fatal Error
Error Installation Failed E/I386/asms Error message
Incorrect function
One of the componets Windows need to continue set up could not be installed.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Back up all his information he doesn't want to loose. My documents, address books...any files from programs he uses and .....After that restart your computer, hit the del key at boot up to go into Bios. Choose to boot from cdrom first and save. Then restart and the cdrom should start setting you up. It will reformat the drive for win XP so you will loose all information.

Someone told me today you can install over windows 98, but I don't think you can. You need to do the above. Good luck and back up.

Also, be sure that system is compatible with XP.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will try it thank you hope it works. how would i know if its compatible ?? would it give me a message if it wasnt?

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Read the side of the XP box and it should tell you. Or go to their website to check it out. I have XP here, but it's a oem and didn't come in a box.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks will check out web site one i got was from i.s. guy at chrysler , so no box either, ,

but thank you hope fully will work ,

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
bobrob....are you from the UK or Ireland...not to be nosey or go off topic...just curious...paying attention to your writing style and did not think you were from these here parts...
so I did some investigative work. he he

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Aug 6 2003, 12:43 AM)Someone told me today you can install over windows 98, but I don't think you can.
That is correct!

·
Registered
73 Posts
You've got a bad pirated copy of XP.

More than likely they used Nero to burn the iso image.

Controls.man is corrupted. Have someone make a new copy of the CD image.

Also, before you do anything else, make sure to back up anything you want saved (data, etc.), and delete all of the partitions from the disk. This is going to be hard with Windows ME, since DOS access has been made difficult. From 98 you could have booted into DOS with a rescue disk and run the fdisk application. From fdisk, delete all existing partitions. XP will create a new OS partition, in the NTFS format (which you want, not FAT or FAT32 used by 98 and ME), and install itself. Make a rescue disk from a working 98 installation and use that to do the hard disk work, if you have to.

As was mentioned earlier, make sure you are set to boot from the CD-ROM drive first while installing.

And lastly, before you get into this, make sure that you have compatible hardware. Check the hardware compatibility at the XP site.

With a good CD, compatible hardware, and a wiped hard drive, you shouldn'thave any trouble. If by some chance you can't get XP installed, go back to 98. ME is the absolute worst OS Microsoft ever released.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I've done a fdisk with a drive loaded with Win Me.........it can be done.

DH, how did you figure he had a bootleg? His source? I've always purchased oem and they just come in a plastic wrap. I assumed when his didn't have box it was oem........
Duh, on my end.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
My husband develops software and sells computer hardware for a living. He can't complain enough about XP. He says it is terrbile and hard to work with. He won't buy computers with it on them. My friend was also just trying to do the XP upgrade from 98 and had a really hard time, ended up just sticking with 98

So, I say, stick with 98.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
anwser to saleenas question , ,,,,
i grew up here iam just a bad typer, born in clawson and live in troy now.

pc question what is oem? is that a demo cd? i used it on mine and works great xp professional, but then again for me its good enough . i mainly need pc for few drafting prgms and office for papers.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
original equipment manufacturer: Not a retail version.

I have XP home and love it...no probs. at all. When I installed it, it formatted over win98 no probs and and created it's partition.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Like everyone said, wipe that hard drive clean. I'm not a fan of upgrading an OS. There is always problems.

I've been running XP Pro for a while now and it is fairly stable. Blows 98 and ME out of the water. I think 2000 is even a little worse than XP.

·
Registered
73 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Aug 6 2003, 08:09 AM)I've done a fdisk with a drive loaded with Win Me.........it can be done.

DH, how did you figure he had a bootleg? His source? I've always purchased oem and they just come in a plastic wrap. I assumed when his didn't have box it was oem........
Duh, on my end.
That problem he was having is a classic for improperly burned images of XP. I could be wrong though.

Not all burning software can handle burning an iso image of XP. He might have a bad image.

If he has an original Microsoft XP CD, either he has a finicky CD-ROM drive (unlikely), or a bad CD.

The fact that he was installing over 98 precluded my thinking about an OEM version of XP. Most OEM versions of Microsoft operating systems these days are system restore disks, which obviously won't work on another set of hardware. If you are lucky enough to have an OEM version of XP or XP Corporate, neither will install over an existing OS reliably. They expect a wiped hard drive, though there are work-arounds for the issue that usually work.

I never recommend upgrading OS's at all. Upgrading is a good time to clean out the hard drive and start over. Do a clean install, and avoid a lot of the instabilities that seem to plague upgrades.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Distant_Horizon @ Aug 6 2003, 10:33 AM)Do a clean install, and avoid a lot of the instabilities that seem to plague upgrades.
Thanks, DH! And I agree on your statement of do a clean install. Why waste your time?

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Question, Does anybody know if winXP has winpop.exe like the older versions? If not, is there another program to use in place of it? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have a pop up stopper that i got from someone at work
it works really good i have no idea who mfg is just say pop up stopper when i installed it . also on norton 03 there is one they both work really well. i can make you a copy of both . if i understood right and thats what you were looking to find. just let me know .

i deffinitly allways get a lot of good info& help in here thats for sure. web site is great!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts