Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I dont think it is possible to format w/o an OS. You can Fdisk with DOS....that is about all I can help you with.

I will look around.

Mini

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Exactly what are you trying to do? Reason?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
You will need a windows boot disk or third party disk utility program to format a hard drive.
Using a windows system boot disk you would use the comand "format" (without the " ") followed by a space and the drive letter with a semi-colon after it (ex. format c:)

"fdisk" is a disk partition utility used to creat, delete, and work with partitions. It will not format a drive in a way that you can use it for a windows OS. After you "fdisk" a drive you still have to format it for windows.

call me after 3:20 if you need help.

·
12,052 Posts
A little more info would have been nice. Any O/S CD or disks will format the drive from them, but depending if there was ever an O/S on the drive, you'll have to have the right CD. Example, if the drive was NTFS certain O/S wont see the drive.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
cd ..

·
Registered
737 Posts
try: cd.. (and repeat)
or cd c: backslash (won't let me use that symbol on the board)

also goto BootDisk.Com for a great selection of bootdisks.

You could also try booting an OS cd from the CD drive, which may mean you have to go into the bios (normally "del" or F2) at boot-up, and change the first boot device to the CD drive.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FORmatting.
i think the cd windows 2000 pro cd i have is crupt... (coppied) anyone have one i may use?

·
Registered
737 Posts
QUOTE(Eagle1 @ Apr 21 2004, 01:35 PM)FORmatting.
i think the cd windows 2000 pro cd i have is crupt... (coppied) anyone have one i may use?
I have Windows 2000 w/ service pack 4 included

·
Registered
737 Posts
Here's a forum on the subject.

Or you could just leave my wife with your PC for 5 minutes and I can assure you that within 5 minutes somehow the drive will be reformated.

(I don't know how she does it)

·
Registered
737 Posts
QUOTE(Eagle1 @ Apr 21 2004, 01:48 PM)my hard drive is partitioned i cant seam to make
fdisk work now what
try running chkdsk /f on it that may repair some of your problems.

Fdisk will not help you format your drive, it can remove the old partition, create a new one, but not format it. Search you hard drive for "Format.com" and copy it to a boot disk if it's not on there already.

·
Registered
737 Posts
CREATING A WINDOWS 2000 BOOT DISK

To create a Windows 2000 Professional bootable diskette you will need four 1.44MB diskettes and the Windows 2000 Professional CD.

Click Start / Run / browse to the CD-ROM drive.
Open the "BOOTDISK" folder and double-click makeboot.exe and click ok to launch the program to create the diskette.

Users can also easily create an Emergency Repair Disk by clicking Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and opening Backup. From the Backup window click the button for Emergency Repair Disk and follow each of the steps.

Also this is useful.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts