Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just boat a house on a canal in harrison township, and I'm new to this forum.

I have been out fishing for perch about ten times in the last month a have caught nothing but a few tiny perch total. I tried drifting with crawler harnesses, and anchoring with perch rigs. When I drift, I don't use any weight. Would adding weight help? When I anchor, I put a large sinker on the perch rig so it goes to the bottom. I hear a lot about slip bobbers, but am not sure how to use them. I have tried fishing in front of ginos surf and by the st clair light......with no luck. I usually fish with worms. Excuse my ignorance, but I just started fishing for the first time this year, and I'm a little frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
ag_48045

·
Registered
280 Posts
i usually use a 1/2 oz sinker while drifting and anchoring, unless i am in the channels, i think you should be doing the opposite of that your doing.
at times i will have one straight down and one crawler out with just a couple split shots 1- 1.5 feet up.

i have had alot of luck drifting with crawler harnesses with a couple large split shots 2 feet up, letting alot of line out.

what area are you fishing?
i know the little bay in between metro and south river road holds alot of jumbos, i get them on bobbers and crawlers in the heavy weeds, 30 feet from shore.. plus you get lots of bass, sheaphead, catfish, sunfish, bullhead, etc..

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Welcome to the Lake Saint Clair Network ag_48045. It's always a good idea to read Cory's post on perch location and what there catching them on. His post is on page 1 and sometimes page 2 of this forum. Don't give up and you'll soon learn alot of good perch spots, as there is alot in st.clair. I think 4lb. test would be a good start using your minnow's or piece's of crawler. Small hooks and small split shot. I would think others that perch fish alot will help also.

h2o<--says put those oxogen tablets in the minnow bucket they super charge those minnows and keep them real lively, You get them when you buy your minnows.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Welcome ag_48045 to the site. Don't feel shy about asking questions here at LSCN... God only knows that I ask enough myself... ANd speaking of frustrated, your looking at a frustrated guy also. I'm always a day late or a dollar short when the perch are in.. I read a report about someone catching perch and then I go out to the same spot and can't find them. In the spring when the perch are hitting my boat is still on the trailer because I can't put in until May.. Then late in the fall when I take my boat out of the water the perch go crazy... I hope I catch some this weekend on Sunday ..... I use a short #6 hook with a number 1 size Berkley grub or something like that on the top part of the hook and then either a shiner minnow or worm. I use a perch spreader with a light weight sinker on the bottom. I usually anchor for perch and move around after awhile...

·
Registered
414 Posts
My best method has been 1/2 ounce or 3/4ounce sinker on a perch rig with #2 or#4 long shank hooks and minnows...the bigger minnows will get you the bigger perch!!....or best area so far has been G sailboat bouy out from 10 mile...although we were just out there thurs. evening and could only get a few dinks...ended up with around 10 perch and only 2 keepers!! What a difference from Sunday!!....trick is keep moving around till you find them and keep going out there!! the perch fishing should only get better!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts