Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got in off the lake fishing for some perch. Went to the raft. Set up about 2/3 of the way to the island. Saw many, many dinks and about 8 jumbos from 10 - 14 inchers. Did not have a perch spear with me, or I could have gotten a few.

Had to jig virorously to get the fishes attention. They would come and look at the bait, and do nothing but look. If you jigged even a bit while they were looking, they took off like a bat out of h---. If you let your bait sit there while they were looking, they would look and look and look, then swim away slowly. We fished from 8:00A.M. 'til 12:30 P.M. and got three dinks between two of us. Had minnows, spikes wax worms and mousies, and even tried a salmon egg and caught one dink on it. Saw many large bass go through, some blue gill and rockbass and a few crappie, so they are there, just will not bite!! Very frustrating to see them and not get them to bite anything. Water was pretty clear down to the bottom and the ice was about 10" thick. Maybe tommorrow they will be more aggressive. They sure were not on the feed today.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(iggy @ Jan 7 2010, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just got in off the lake fishing for some perch. Went to the raft. Set up about 2/3 of the way to the island. Saw many, many dinks and about 8 jumbos from 10 - 14 inchers. Did not have a perch spear with me, or I could have gotten a few.

Had to jig virorously to get the fishes attention. They would come and look at the bait, and do nothing but look. If you jigged even a bit while they were looking, they took off like a bat out of h---. If you let your bait sit there while they were looking, they would look and look and look, then swim away slowly. We fished from 8:00A.M. 'til 12:30 P.M. and got three dinks between two of us. Had minnows, spikes wax worms and mousies, and even tried a salmon egg and caught one dink on it. Saw many large bass go through, some blue gill and rockbass and a few crappie, so they are there, just will not bite!! Very frustrating to see them and not get them to bite anything. Water was pretty clear down to the bottom and the ice was about 10" thick. Maybe tommorrow they will be more aggressive. They sure were not on the feed today.
Take a perch spear with you, and you WILL get some jumbos. They seem to come in and stand there for a while and look at your bait. When they do this......WHAMM!

·
Registered
76 Posts
QUOTE(iggy @ Jan 7 2010, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just got in off the lake fishing for some perch. Went to the raft. Set up about 2/3 of the way to the island. Saw many, many dinks and about 8 jumbos from 10 - 14 inchers. Did not have a perch spear with me, or I could have gotten a few.

Hi iggy, for finicky perch drill two holes. Set a not so big rapala in one hole and leave it there and from time to time bounce it like crazy somewhere in the middle. This will lure everybody and their daddy in. Next, in the other hole use a not so big swedish pimple and take the treble hook off it and connect a teardrop to it baited with a spike. The jumbos can't resist. Use heavier line as the rap will attract more than just perch! Hope that helps!

·
Registered
363 Posts
QUOTE(bluegiller @ Jan 7 2010, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(iggy @ Jan 7 2010, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just got in off the lake fishing for some perch. Went to the raft. Set up about 2/3 of the way to the island. Saw many, many dinks and about 8 jumbos from 10 - 14 inchers. Did not have a perch spear with me, or I could have gotten a few.

Hi iggy, for finicky perch drill two holes. Set a not so big rapala in one hole and leave it there and from time to time bounce it like crazy somewhere in the middle. This will lure everybody and their daddy in. Next, in the other hole use a not so big swedish pimple and take the treble hook off it and connect a teardrop to it baited with a spike. The jumbos can't resist. Use heavier line as the rap will attract more than just perch! Hope that helps!

Did I hear someone call out to the pimp?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I dare not to call out the pimp but where can i get some sweedish pimples or if anybody wants to part with a couple let me know thanks

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(bluegiller @ Jan 7 2010, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(iggy @ Jan 7 2010, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just got in off the lake fishing for some perch. Went to the raft. Set up about 2/3 of the way to the island. Saw many, many dinks and about 8 jumbos from 10 - 14 inchers. Did not have a perch spear with me, or I could have gotten a few.

Hey, thanks alot for the tip! I'll definately try it on my next time out.(soon). You sound like a man who's tried it, and it must have worked!!!!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
QUOTE(gone fishin @ Jan 7 2010, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I dare not to call out the pimp but where can i get some sweedish pimples or if anybody wants to part with a couple let me know thanks

I've seen sweedish pimples mostly at stores that sell ice fishing tackle. Last year I baught a set of pimples at Dicks Sporting Goods for around $15-20. I think it came with 8-10 pimples.

·
Registered
182 Posts
QUOTE(ice fishing newb @ Jan 8 2010, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(gone fishin @ Jan 7 2010, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I dare not to call out the pimp but where can i get some sweedish pimples or if anybody wants to part with a couple let me know thanks

I've seen sweedish pimples mostly at stores that sell ice fishing tackle. Last year I baught a set of pimples at Dicks Sporting Goods for around $15-20. I think it came with 8-10 pimples.

Thanks Newb I will be sure to check that out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts