Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went out to Fishers Bay yesterday with my grandson. Tons of perch biting in there right next to the reeds sticking up out of the water. Only problem is, they are dinks, all running about 6. I caught well over 60 or 70 perch, probably closer to 80, and kept only 5 good sized ones. No jumbos. We tried out in the middle of the bay as well, and nothing going on out there, but the closer to the reeds, the more perch we got.

I caught two sunnies in there too. One went exactly 10" and the second one was 9-1/2". My grandson caught a small mouth that went about 18" on a crank bait. The 'smerch' were biting on a single snelled hook with a small orange spinner on it, and 1/2 of crawler. We did not have minnows. I was thinking that if we did try minnows, we may have caught some larger perch??? We caught them all drifting along the reeds or trolling along the edge of them in 3-4 FOW. Water was gin clear, so drifting, I used a bobber to get the bait away from the boat in that shallow water, and trolling, no weight at all other than the hook and crawler so the bait was farther behind the boat. If anyone wants to take the kids out to have fun with the perch, try Fishers bay, close to the mouth of the Doty Hwy. where it empties into the bay. They will have some fun, and those small perch would be a good meal if you want to mess around cleaning them. We thew back many chubby 7 inchers that would taste good!

·
Super Moderator
109 Posts
Went out to Fishers Bay yesterday with my grandson. Tons of perch biting in there right next to the reeds sticking up out of the water. Only problem is, they are dinks, all running about 6. I caught well over 60 or 70 perch, probably closer to 80, and kept only 5 good sized ones. No jumbos. We tried ou in the middle of the bay as well, and nothing going on out there, but the closer to the reeds, the more perch we got.

I caught two sunnies in there too. One went exactly 10" and the second one was 9-1/2". My grandson caught a small mouth that went about 18" on a crank bait. The 'smerch' were biting on a single snelled hook with a small orange spinner on it, and 1/2 of crawler. We did have have minnows. I was thinking that if we did try minnows, we may have caught some larger perch??? We caught them all drifting along the reeds or trolling along the edge of thjem in 3-4 FOW. Water was gin clear, so drifting, I used a bobber to get the bait away from the boat in that shallow water, and trolling, no wait at all other than the hook and crawler so the bait was farther behind the boat. If anyone wants to take the kids out to have fun with the perch, try Fishers bay, close to the mouth of the Doty Hwy. where it empties into the bay. They will have some fun, and those small perch would be a good meal if you want to mess around cleaning them. I we thew back many chubby 7 inchers that would taste good!
Good deal, Hope the perch grow up!! Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts