Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than hijack another perch thread, I was thinking of catching some of those nice perch I hear of as a change of pace. But I'm an artificial lure fisher, and am wondering if anyone does well for 'em with artificials. I was thinking scaled-down walleye techniques should work. Anybody catching any perch using lures?

·
Registered
528 Posts
A few years ago, I messed around with this up on Torch river. I was messing around with one of my light action 5'6" spinner rods and was using 4lb test line with just a #6 eagle claw hookoff of a swivel. I placed an 1/8oz split shot about 6-8" up from the swivel. I used a 2" powerbait grub with tail in the brown color (also used brown with orange tail) on the hook. I kind of bent the hooks to rig it weedless by first hooking the nose of the power bait and sliding it up the shank and then hooking the barb into th bait near the tail. Casting it and retrieving it fast, perch loved it. Torch River is filled with logs and it would pull the perch right out of their hiding spots. So I would imagine that a similar setup with maybe a little more weight to get it down deeper (like a bullet nose slip weight above the swivel), while retrieving it might work out there on LSC. I even hooked a coulpe of smallmouth up there doing it (albeit they were only 10-14" in size...) It was fun times. Caught about 20 or so doing it one day. You should have seen the look on my dads face when I told him I was casting for perch...Keep in mind though the water is crystal clear up there.

I've also had perch hit small rapala's and even mepps baits as well.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fast retrieves, eh? Interesting. Thanks for the info! I'll check out that approach. Could be lots of fun when I hit a school of jumbos. ><{{{{{*>

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just yesterday we were perch fishing around the St Clair Light. We anchored up and were catching a decent # of average size perch with a handful of 12"ers. The East wind picked up and we decided to drift with small bladed harnesses and crawlers. We were still catching perch so I decided to put a rubber worm on the harness to see if this would work. Much easier than constant changing of a half eaten worm. Unfortunately, this did not work. I kept it on for 1/2 an hour with no takers. Just to mention my buddy kept catching perch on his live bait. I am not a believer in artificial bait when it comes to perch other than icefishing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
People have been reporting that they have been catching desent perch on emerald shinners out by the south channel in 18fow. So i think you might want to try out that way with artificials. But i would bring some shinners with you also. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Try drop shotting with a 3" Gulp minnow.

·
Registered
583 Posts
QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Jul 21 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rather than hijack another perch thread, I was thinking of catching some of those nice perch I hear of as a change of pace. But I'm an artificial lure fisher, and am wondering if anyone does well for 'em with artificials. I was thinking scaled-down walleye techniques should work. Anybody catching any perch using lures?

Couple weeks ago I was in Ottawa for work, and took a canoe out into a small lake (connected to the Rideau Canal) casting for LM. Caught a bunch of small (<12") LM, 'till it got windy, and replaced my floating Rap with a large, chartreuse diver (so I could cast further). Funny thing, the bass stopped hitting the bigger lure, but I got 2 decent perch on it. Only time, though, I've ever had perch hit ANYTHING artificial. I would think that a small 1/8 jig and twister might be your best bet...

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
the other night when I got into um I had one rod going with a glow 3/8 RJT jig tipped with a shiner. I caught a couple, but no dinks. I was actually trying to jig up a walleye, but got perch. I'm sure if you tipped with a cut down gulp or a gulp waxie, you may have something.

I was thinking the same thing when I started pulling up keeper perch. I was anchored too.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Last Fall I found a school of jumbos in 6 fow and killed them on plastics only. I was using a 1/32 oz jighead and either a 1" powerbait craw or a 2" panfish tube under a slipbobber on 6# test. Many times the bobber stop hit the bobber and the bobber went down before I even jigged it! Buddy and I got 78 that day. All on artificials.

Wheel Car Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

I bet you guys fishing for them deep right now could jig a small swedish pimple over the side of the boat or a jigging rap and catch some of the bigger fish (you don't want all of the bait-robbing dinks anyways) while you are anchored out there by the light.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
I fish off my dock on st clair just before lakewood golf course & just use a 1" tube with 1/32oz head.Some days you get some days not.Cast it or use with bobber.Great for smallies & largies also.Shallows can be loaded with fish but it is greatly affected by north winds.....

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Jul 21 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rather than hijack another perch thread, I was thinking of catching some of those nice perch I hear of as a change of pace. But I'm an artificial lure fisher, and am wondering if anyone does well for 'em with artificials. I was thinking scaled-down walleye techniques should work. Anybody catching any perch using lures?

Bingo!!!

Smoke colored 3inch Power Grubs on a 1/8oz plain leadH can be killer and will take out any Walleye in that area also.

·
Registered
735 Posts
back home in rochester when they were in the ontario bays in spring and fall, I would locate them by kayak trolling a 2.5" fin s fish and once located I would use a variety of plastics on jig heads.
Including

panfish assassins. (no. 1 producer hands down)
(in minnow imitating and chartruse colors)
Fin S fish
(natural colors)
berkley gulp 2" grub
(white)
berkley nymph
(toad color)

I use as light a jighead as possible depending on depth of water.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Small spinners work great on an ultra light and 4lb test. I like the panther martins with the hair. If U have to use a split shot to get it down a little deeper. I have also caught quite a few perch/rock bass on bigger mister twisters (4") fishing for pike. The smaller twisters dont work to good, U have to reel them in to quick to get the tail to spin good and then there not deep enough for perch...........

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
a friend and i went out about april, he got a fat perch on a yellow spinner bait. i was shock'd!!! first time seeing that happen.

i figure, if they're hungry, they'll eat anything they can.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the ideas! Looks like there are plenty of possibilities to work with.

And those 3 inch Power Grubs certainly do get the interest of the walleyes....
><{{{{{{*>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.