Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this morning looking for some perch which I have not had too much luck with this year yet. Started out in a cut off of the middle channel. Got a few small perch, nothing worth keeping in the cut and also drifting along the reeds that are on the shoreline of the middle channel. I had something really huge hooked and my 20 pound test leader line broke on my night crawler harness. I think it was bitten off rather than just breaking. Never saw the fish, but it felt great for a while as I fought it a bit.
Moved to a cut behind Strawberry Island and in this cut, the weeds were so thick and dense you could not fish the cut. The water was about 4 feet deep. As we were going thru the cut, we noticed a clear pocket that was weed free and about two feet deeper. The clear pocket was about 25 -30 feet long. We anchored in the reeds and sent a single hook with a worm on it under a bobber and caught some real nice perch in this clear pocket. The weeds in the cut were upstream and downstream from this clear pocket. We kept a total of 48 perch between me and my grandson. He caught a large mouth that measured 17" and I got a 9-3/4" sunnie out of the cut. Smallest perch we kept was 8", but not too many that size. We caught a lot of smaller ones that went back in.
Almost every perch that we cleaned had minnows in their bellies. I wanted to take minnows out there perch'n with me, but the bait shops were not open this morning when I drove past them at 6:00 A.M. on my way to the Harley launch site. If you want some perch, find a shallow cut that is very weedy, look for a pocket of no weeds in the cut and catch some perch in this pocket. Use minnows for best results.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good job on the Perch Iggy. I've had a lot of Perch big and small follow up my Bass baits in The Channels, even caught a 14" one on a big Crankbait.
Your moving around and persisting paid off again. :cool:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Went out this morning looking for some perch which I have not had too much luck with this year yet. Started out in a cut off of the middle channel. Got a few small perch, nothing worth keeping in the cut and also drifting along the reeds that are on the shoreline of the middle channel. I had something really huge hooked and my 20 pound test leader line broke on my night crawler harness. I think it was bitten off rather than just breaking. Never saw the fish, but it felt great for a while as I fought it a bit.
Moved to a cut behind Strawberry Island and in this cut, the weeds were so thick and dense you could not fish the cut. The water was about 4 feet deep. As we were going thru the cut, we noticed a clear pocket that was weed free and about two feet deeper. The clear pocket was about 25 -30 feet long. We anchored in the reeds and sent a single hook with a worm on it under a bobber and caught some real nice perch in this clear pocket. The weeds in the cut were upstream and downstream from this clear pocket. We kept a total of 48 perch between me and my grandson. He caught a large mouth that measured 17" and I got a 9-3/4" sunnie out of the cut. Smallest perch we kept was 8", but not too many that size. We caught a lot of smaller ones that went back in.
Almost every perch that we cleaned had minnows in their bellies. I wanted to take minnows out there perch'n with me, but the bait shops were not open this morning when I drove past them at 6:00 A.M. on my way to the Harley launch site. If you want some perch, find a shallow cut that is very weedy, look for a pocket of no weeds in the cut and catch some perch in this pocket. Use minnows for best results.
WTG.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts