Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have this light on the front of my boat and I was puting together a list of spare things to have onboard. So naturally I figured light bulbs for the nav lights. Only problem is I can't figure out how to open the dang thing. I did find out what bulb it takes, but knowing that and having a bulb is pointless if I have to destroy the housing to replace the bulb. Anyone have a clue for me?

Thanks!!

Randy

Attachments

·
12,052 Posts
That's a good one bud.
My perko lights need a tap ALL the time to make them go on. Not real happy with them. when we left the Crews Inn sat. night the red light wouldn't come on.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I don't know how that one comes apart--did you look in the anchor locker to see if you can get access that way? It may only come apart if you unbolt it from underneath. Both my anchor and nav lights have spare bulbs secured inside their respective housings. I didn't find that out until I went to replace a bulb, and found the spares in there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the housing on your light is plastic, it should snap off revealing the bulb(s) and mounting screws underneath. It shouldn't be necessary to access it from underneath.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My nav light housing is all metal with two screws holding it on. A little different looking than than the one you have pictured. If that is plastic around the base you may have to get something to pop that off exposing the screws. I cant imagine them being any different.

·
Registered
47 Posts
if you figure it out please post how you did it. i just ran into the same thing (same light) a week ago. and never did get it open. and with me... if i'd have messed around with it. the bow of the boat would be gone. i looked at one a west marine, but that didn't help. if you're near a marine store check one out and see if you can figure it out seeing it apart in the clear plastic.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(Spider @ Jun 7 2004, 10:54 AM)Anyone have a clue for me?
Take saw zaw and remove bow of boat. Cut fiberglass from bottom of light. Change bulb.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The base is black plastic and has two screws securing it to the deck. I have removed them and tried to look at the underside, but the wires are too short and I couldn't lift it high enough off the deck. Again, I didn't want to damage anything. So I put it back together.

Jim, I considered your option already. I even walked around the abandoned boats at Tashmoo Sunday to see if there was another boat there that had one. No luck.

If I ever figure it out, I'll post on here what I did.

Randy

·
Registered
47 Posts
i just sent perko an e-mail from their website. i'll post what they say if i get a response. why is eveything about a boat such a pain in the @$$?? i usually make things worse when i try to fix the smallest things. and this is a good example. perko's ph# is 305 621-7525 if you feel like calling them to ask.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Usually a regular routine when going out at night to have to take the cover off one of the lights and twist the bulb in the contacts till it goes on.
The light housing on ours just has a single phillips screw in the top of the lens housing and it comes right off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
here's the reply from perko, i just got it.
"Jerry,

Remove the two screws at either side of the lens opening. Those screws attached the fixture to
your bow. Carefully turn the fixture upside down to reveal the two screws that attach the chrome
plated housing to the plastic base assembly. Carefully remove those screws to disassemble the
entire light fixture.

Sincerely,
Arthur Keye
Inside Sales Dept.
PERKO, Inc."

i tried to do that on mine, the darn thing is really stuck on there with some kind of calk that set up like cement.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yours is like mine. I have not had to replace the bulb, but I did pull it partially off to reseal it. My wires are to short as well to pull it off far enough to access the bottom and replace the bulb. Luckily I don't have to yet
But what I would do is see if you can access the wires from underneath. If so, see if there is extra to pull on and get the light off farther. If not, you will have to cut them and rewire longer wires. If you have a cabin, rewiring it would probably be easier because you would have to tear away material to access them from inside. I can feel my wires from inside the cabin, but I don't want to tear the cloth out. I would give a little tug on the light. If the wires won't pull out, cut them. Adding a couple of small extension wires is simple. I wouldn't yank the light out though, cause you could damage the leads on the light. Make sure you cut them. And don't let the wires fall inside the boat after you cut them
Good luck

If that don't work, grab a case of beer, take Hammer's idea and cut it out

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replys. Millertime, I will give that a look next time I am at the boat. I am off to Cleveland for a week and won't get to go this weekend to try it. Just one more, that is also a good idea to look in the anchor locker at the wires. Might just be coiled in there so they aren't in the way of the rode. Agian, thanks for the replys.

Randy

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I removed the screws again from the sides and carefully pulled the light up away from the deck. The wires were set in 3M 5200 so thats why they pulled out hard. There are two screws on the underside of the light. Thanks for the info.

Randy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Glad it worked out! Funny you would have posted your original post when you did. The day after I noticed the condensation on the lens on mine. I probably would have forgotten about it. The first year we had the boat we have now, we were cruising the Black Creek after the Memorial Day fireworks the last time they ever had them at Metro. A sheriff boat was just getting done writting some one up. (Probably making a wake). The deputy waved me over to him. He said my bow light was not on, I said "Oh $h-t, I meant to check all the lights before I put the boat in for the season." He nicely said, "sure you have the switch in the right position?" It was set to Anchor Light... talk about feeling like a Rookie. I'd only owned boats for about 20 year by that time. Yeah... Rookie!!! But I've never done that again. I'll also add that the lenses can bleach out from the sun, I've seen older boats that have what looks like clear white lights on the bow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts