Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
I am questioning the walleye and pike seasons on the Clinton river. I have read the regulations, but I actually cannot tell when the seasons start or end by reading the thing. It looks like walleye season ends in the river on March 15th, but pike season goes on all year long. And what about on the lake?? If someone could set me straight to the rules on this, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks! IGGY

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(walleye mike @ Mar 7 2010, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Both pike and walleye closed on March 16 till the last Sat in April for inland waters.
Open all year on LSC, SCR., and DR. (for both)

O.K., Thank you. I am assuming then that the season for both walley and pike is closed on the Clinton river as well as on the inland waters on March 16 until it re-opens on the Clinton river again when the inland waters open. In other words, the Clinton river is not part of the SCR nor LSC as far as the fishing season is concerned?? I guess that is the part of the regulations that I was not quite grasping. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Im not sure where the designated line is on the clinton river itself, but for the spillway, where jefferson crosses over the spillway is line for "lsc" regs to "inland" regs. Upriver of jefferson is inland, downriver side of jefferson and out to the lake is lsc.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
At the Muskies Inc meeting last year the DNR official said the lake/river boundary is defined by the natural shoreline.

In other words, the spillway is considered inland to where it dumps into the lake (not Jefferson), but the Clinton River is considered Lake St. Clair waters at the end of the breakwall where there's the little cut between the breakwall and the artificial peninsula, more-or-less across from the Harley Ensign launch site.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Mar 8 2010, 03:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>At the Muskies Inc meeting last year the DNR official said the lake/river boundary is defined by the natural shoreline.

In other words, the spillway is considered inland to where it dumps into the lake (not Jefferson), but the Clinton River is considered Lake St. Clair waters at the end of the breakwall where there's the little cut between the breakwall and the artificial peninsula, more-or-less across from the Harley Ensign launch site.
I was told the same thing about the spillway by a CO last year. I told him what popular belief was (the bridge), but he said that was wrong. It is actually point-to-point across the mouth.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Mar 8 2010, 07:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Mar 8 2010, 03:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>At the Muskies Inc meeting last year the DNR official said the lake/river boundary is defined by the natural shoreline.

I was told the same thing about the spillway by a CO last year. I told him what popular belief was (the bridge), but he said that was wrong. It is actually point-to-point across the mouth.

I always thought the bridge seemed like a weird border, but thats what someone on here told me last year. Thanks for clearing it up guys, i occasionally fish that area in my kayak and would have been pissed if i got a ticket.

Heres another question... what are the rules with canals? Technically they are inland from the shoreline. Im assuming they are under LSC regs, but just want to make sure.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
My understanding on canals is natural shoreline. Inside natural shorlines would be inland regs. Those marinas with docks built out into the lake would be LSC regs. Thats what was explained to me by a CO Lt.

All river mouths would be also natural shorelines.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
^^^ That's my recollection of how canals are regulated, too, Walleye Mike.

Might be a good to make a "sticky" on the forum with these definitions, as well as the SCR/LSC, LSC/DR, and DR/Erie boundaries (which are in the fishing guide).

To the best of my recollection, the LSC/DR boundary is considered the line between windmill point (I would expect that to be the natural shoreline, not the marina) and Peche Island, and the DR/Erie boundary is the line going E-W (latitude) of the lower tip of Celeron island.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
It depends on what CO stops you and how much of an @ss you are to him. The CO last year said that jefferson is the boundary
for the spillway. But as we know the rules tend to bend depending on the person

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
If youre not sure if youre fishing inland waters then your best bet would to be not to target pike or walleye for that month that its closed. Its always better to be safe then sorry IMO.

·
Registered
489 Posts
QUOTE(ice fishing newb @ Mar 9 2010, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If youre not sure if youre fishing inland waters then your best bet would to be not to target pike or walleye for that month that its closed. Its always better to be safe then sorry IMO.

That's good advice right there. No need to get a ticket.

·
Vendor
608 Posts
QUOTE(walleye mike @ Mar 8 2010, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My understanding on canals is natural shoreline. Inside natural shorlines would be inland regs. Those marinas with docks built out into the lake would be LSC regs. Thats what was explained to me by a CO Lt.

All river mouths would be also natural shorelines.

i have been told on lake mi that all the marinas and canals all belong to the lake regs and that the great lake rules and regulations apply to them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.