Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fished Lake St.Clair my whole life. Caught every thing out there in the LSC.
From small Musk on Perch-Rigs to Goby & Sheephead, Pike on a bobber with a finger Perch or Blue Gill. Have never caught a pike on Ice gear! I have tryed a Sucker, Perch, Blu, Shiner....
About a ft off bottom and waited but never any luck.I am about ready to go and spear in a darkhouse. Anyone have suggestions????? I Have tryed many Shores locations! The largest Pike I have is a 36 incher and that was trollin for Eyes. Love the fight and the chase but loosin patience.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
This question has been asked several times in the last month. You'll get plenty of info from those posts if you use the search function.

·
Registered
242 Posts
QUOTE(ChickinSlow @ Jan 18 2010, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have fished Lake St.Clair my whole life. Caught every thing out there in the LSC.
From small Musk on Perch-Rigs to Goby & Sheephead, Pike on a bobber with a finger Perch or Blue Gill. Have never caught a pike on Ice gear! I have tryed a Sucker, Perch, Blu, Shiner....
About a ft off bottom and waited but never any luck.I am about ready to go and spear in a darkhouse. Anyone have suggestions????? I Have tryed many Shores locations! The largest Pike I have is a 36 incher and that was trollin for Eyes. Love the fight and the chase but loosin patience.

I believe you would have better luck in Anchor Bay for pike or maybe the marsh at Metro Beach.

·
Registered
208 Posts
QUOTE(ChickinSlow @ Jan 18 2010, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have fished Lake St.Clair my whole life. Caught every thing out there in the LSC.

When i set traps for pike, i always set my bait halfway to the bottom, the pike look up to feed so if your bait is to close to the bottom they will have a hard time seeing it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Set your tip up in the from 1/3 to 1/2 way down, get rid of the big treble hook and steel leader. use a #10 mustad treble and get it as sharp as you can get it. tie it to a 17-20lb test florocarbon leader about 3' long and add a small splitshot for weight. for bait I use a 4-6" sucker or shiner. when the flag go's up walk Dont run over and watch the line, most of the time it will stop then start moving again. pull the tip up out and hang onto the line, dont set the hook just let the line tighten up then start bringing in the fish, The florocarbon line will hold long enough to get the fish to the hole. use the handle from your scooper or get a gaff to pull the fish up and out. and get or make a real gaff not one of those treble hooks stuck on the end of a handle.

after catching a fish cut off the frayed part of the florocarbon and ite on a new hook.

·
Registered
42 Posts
About a ft off bottom and waited but never any luck.I am about ready to go and spear in a darkhouse. Anyone have suggestions????? I Have tryed many Shores locations! The largest Pike I have is a 36 incher and that was trollin for Eyes. Love the fight and the chase but loosin patience. do exactly what otis said

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
QUOTE(misterperch @ Jan 19 2010, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(ChickinSlow @ Jan 18 2010, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have fished Lake St.Clair my whole life. Caught every thing out there in the LSC.
About a ft off bottom and waited but never any luck.I am about ready to go and spear in a darkhouse. Anyone have suggestions????? I Have tryed many Shores locations! The largest Pike I have is a 36 incher and that was trollin for Eyes. Love the fight and the chase but loosin patience. do exactly what otis said

I would agree 100%. Great tips Otis.

·
Registered
20 Posts
QUOTE(ChickinSlow @ Jan 18 2010, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have fished Lake St.Clair my whole life. Caught every thing out there in the LSC.

Thats kinda funny to here do you live near port huron at all?
theres this pond here on 40th street i go out there and set tip ups up and nail about 8-10 pike almost every night right before dark
i got this little secert spot

in fact next time i go ill tell ya

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Otis @ Jan 19 2010, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Set your tip up in the from 1/3 to 1/2 way down, get rid of the big treble hook and steel leader. use a #10 mustad treble and get it as sharp as you can get it. tie it to a 17-20lb test florocarbon leader about 3' long and add a small splitshot for weight. for bait I use a 4-6" sucker or shiner. when the flag go's up walk Dont run over and watch the line, most of the time it will stop then start moving again. pull the tip up out and hang onto the line, dont set the hook just let the line tighten up then start bringing in the fish, The florocarbon line will hold long enough to get the fish to the hole. use the handle from your scooper or get a gaff to pull the fish up and out. and get or make a real gaff not one of those treble hooks stuck on the end of a handle.

after catching a fish cut off the frayed part of the florocarbon and ite on a new hook.

Is the Sucker/Shiner dead Or alive? Any special way to hook it?(Head-Back)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
QUOTE(ChickinSlow @ Jan 19 2010, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Otis @ Jan 19 2010, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Set your tip up in the from 1/3 to 1/2 way down, get rid of the big treble hook and steel leader. use a #10 mustad treble and get it as sharp as you can get it. tie it to a 17-20lb test florocarbon leader about 3' long and add a small splitshot for weight. for bait I use a 4-6" sucker or shiner. when the flag go's up walk Dont run over and watch the line, most of the time it will stop then start moving again. pull the tip up out and hang onto the line, dont set the hook just let the line tighten up then start bringing in the fish, The florocarbon line will hold long enough to get the fish to the hole. use the handle from your scooper or get a gaff to pull the fish up and out. and get or make a real gaff not one of those treble hooks stuck on the end of a handle.

I like to use a live 6" sucker hooked in the back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
QUOTE(ChickinSlow @ Jan 19 2010, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Otis @ Jan 19 2010, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Set your tip up in the from 1/3 to 1/2 way down, get rid of the big treble hook and steel leader. use a #10 mustad treble and get it as sharp as you can get it. tie it to a 17-20lb test florocarbon leader about 3' long and add a small splitshot for weight. for bait I use a 4-6" sucker or shiner. when the flag go's up walk Dont run over and watch the line, most of the time it will stop then start moving again. pull the tip up out and hang onto the line, dont set the hook just let the line tighten up then start bringing in the fish, The florocarbon line will hold long enough to get the fish to the hole. use the handle from your scooper or get a gaff to pull the fish up and out. and get or make a real gaff not one of those treble hooks stuck on the end of a handle.

Alive hooked in front of the dorsal fin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Otis @ Jan 19 2010, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(ChickinSlow @ Jan 19 2010, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Otis @ Jan 19 2010, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Set your tip up in the from 1/3 to 1/2 way down, get rid of the big treble hook and steel leader. use a #10 mustad treble and get it as sharp as you can get it. tie it to a 17-20lb test florocarbon leader about 3' long and add a small splitshot for weight. for bait I use a 4-6" sucker or shiner. when the flag go's up walk Dont run over and watch the line, most of the time it will stop then start moving again. pull the tip up out and hang onto the line, dont set the hook just let the line tighten up then start bringing in the fish, The florocarbon line will hold long enough to get the fish to the hole. use the handle from your scooper or get a gaff to pull the fish up and out. and get or make a real gaff not one of those treble hooks stuck on the end of a handle.

Thanks I will try this next time I go out!!!!!

Alive hooked in front of the dorsal fin

·
Registered
342 Posts
On early ice, live bait works best...Farther into winter, pike need to conserve energy. They are great scavengers so dead bait becomes the food of choice. I was up on Van Ettan last weekend. Caught 5 sat 6 sun using large minnows on a buckshot rattle spoon. Vexilar showed them approaching right off the bottom, as soon as I bounced the spoon off the bottom and pulled it up 2-3 feet...Whamo! The pike smoked it. Big fish strikes on a vexilar are the coolest thing ever! Pike seem to be pretty aggressive still so live seems to be the way to go. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.