Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an interiesting conversation with someone who's knowledge is a bit suspect. Maybe I'm showin' my
a$$ here boy's but. . .this guy swares up and down that pike, all pike, loose their teeth in the spring and then grow them back again before summer. I've never ever heard that before and I love pike fishing. I sware he was being straight up, no April fools joke. . .any help ?

. . .B.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
This is the first time I heard that they lose then in the spring. The old wives tale was they fell out in August thats why they stop hitting and their mouths are all red. Pike and Muskie are constantly losing and replacing their teeth. When they get near death from old age the prosess slows up and they lose their teeth near the end from what I have been told. Bob

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
The teeth are representative to the growing season, the same with body size. In the "dormant" months of ice, features may appear and disappear. As the water warms, metabolism and growth escalates and features such as teeth seem to get bigger. At least that is my unscientific observation.

Perhaps a DNR representative could help out on this.

I dont think any of the freshwater species "lose" teeth, but some may have a stoppage in growth during cold water.

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
If they didn't lose teeth and regrow just think how big they would get.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
So many possible responses and so little time (just look at the last part of 'the legend's' first post)

But I'll resist for now. This is one of my favorite old wives tales. Heck, I guess they're all my favorites. What would we all do if we didn't have all the great 'reasons' why we aren't catching different fish during different seasons and conditions. I usually just say the sun got in my eyes when I need an excuse.

As far as pike are considered, all I have to say is, "a pike's mouth is a violent place and lucky for us, they don't get bigger than they do or a few of us might end up with the occasional pike tooth stuck in our hindquarters."

·
Registered
927 Posts
on that note, i will add a story that i heard a few years ago.

i used to have a friend whose parents had a cottage on stag island ( st clair river ). we used to go up there for a few weeks every summer. there was an old guy who also had a cottage on the island. he would tell us where to fish and what to use. we noticed that the old man had strange scares on his legs and hands. we asked him what had happened and he "claimed" that when he was a young boy, he was attacked by a school of muskie while swimming in the river. they caused severe tissue damage to his hands and legs and he had to get a ton of stitches. dont know how true it is, but it was interesting to hear, and needless to say, i swam in the river no more.

another story about muskie attacks.

i worked with a guy 3 years ago who was in the navy. he told me that he had a mission on lake superior pulling the wreckage of one of the air force jets out of the lake. the navy dudes took turns diving and recovering as much wreckage as possible. one of the guys went down and was grabbing something from the plane when he felt something brush against his leg. when he aimed his flashlight to his leg he saw a big muskie suspended between both of his legs, how big you ask? BIG! then out of nowhere he was bitten on the arm. he quickly aimed his flashlight in front of him only to catch a glimpse of the fish that just had torn into him. again from below, he was bitten on the leg. in a panic, he searched the surrounding area with his light to find many muskie surrounding him. how many you ask? MANY! one by one they moved in, like lightnening striking, ripping pieces of wet suit and flesh with each bite. the navy dude made way for the surface, with a hungry school of man eaters on his tail
. he was pulled safely aboard the vessel and rushed to a hospital where he recieved many stitches and reconstructive surgery on parts of his hands and legs.

what do you all think? fact or fiction? either way, they are pretty intersting stories ( i think )

madman himself

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Another fish story. A friend of mine used to live along Anchor Bay some years ago. He had a large German Shepard that weighed close to 100 lbs. One spring he was playing fetch with the dog throwing a stick into the shallow water so the dog would retrieve it. About the third time the dog went in the water he gave a loud yelp and seemed like he was stuck on something. My friend went into the water to help only to see a very large fish swim away from the area. He figures it was a musky. The dog ended up with a broken leg and severe cuts that needed stitches. The owner figures the dog got into an area where musky were spawning. How would you react if you were interupted?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
This is GREAT STUFF! We need to find a few of those divers now who've dived in almost every really deep lake everywhere only to never dive again because they saw a musky catfish other? fish so LARGE that they swore never to dive again. If this thread doesn't give Mac some more ideas, I don't know what will... Packs of waterwolves attacking...

I don't think anyone will ever top the guys who claimed they had a carp wedge into their jackplate so tight they couldn't remove it. After stopping to see what they hit, they couldn't get the carp out, so were unable to trim down their motor and get back on plane making them late for the weigh in... (How did they ever finally get it out??? Jaws of life???)

Actually, I remember reading something about there being no truly documented cases of a human being attacked by wolves (the furry kind), but there was one documented case of a teenage girl being bitten severely in the leg by a musky while swimming in a Minnesota lake.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
There is a photo of a fellows leg in Homers book of a big Muskie bite in St Clair when he fell off his water ski.
Bob Oh by the way Dan good thing you let that one go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did some looking around and found a few good ones...

When Pike Attack

Fish Bites Man

A story from the Wisconsin State Journal from June 1998 recounts the true tale of a canoer who was cooling off his feet in the water when a muskie bit. He jerked his foot, tearing the flesh and accidentally flipping the 36-inch fish - a tiger muskie - into his canoe. He ended up at the emergency room with 60 stitches. The fish was confiscated by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, which apparently didn't deem using the foot as a legal method of fishing.

Some AWESOME Muskie Pics

1 - 13 of 13 Posts