Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Lake St. Clair has a huge Musky population, which is cool. I was wondering if there is a nice population of Pike running around the lake . If so where would be the good spots to find them around anchor bay?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
There are lots and lots of nice pike in the lake. I've caught most of mine in the deeper areas between the Clinton River mouth and Strawberry Island this time of year through the fall, pretty good size, too (median 31 inches). Also lots of pike near Metro Beach earlier in the year (had quite a pikefest there my first outing of musky season), but they seemed to head to deeper water in mid June. Big pike like cool water.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I caught a nice Pike while trolling around the small island near Metro's launch two weekends ago. I was using a small rapala that went down about 3 feet in about 7 1/2 feet of water. The Pike just missed the keeper mark by 1/2", but it was sure fun to catch.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Your best bet for pike would be the east side of Anchor Bay (Bouvier Bay) from Grass Island east & by Gull Island up into the South Channel.
I usually do good on the pike in Bouvier Bay starting in mid August but this year might be different with the cooler summer.

·
Vendor
539 Posts
Best two lures for pike on St Clair Ive seen are red eyes in brass and variuos colors and rapala J-13s. And most of the time if you start getting some larger pike 30-40" mark it and keep fishing it. Theres musky there as well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Think COLD water, pike love cold water. Where there's cold water flowing into the bay or in the channels is where you'll find the biggest pike most of the year. There are good numbers of 40"+ pike in the system, they just like different water than the muskies. 60-70 degree water is best.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(6667supersport @ Aug 3 2009, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ive caught quite a few fishing betwen selfridge and the salt river 6-8' of water when casting for muskie. I would think if U used a smaller lure and slowed it down some U would do pretty good.
Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. I've had pike hit all sorts of things when I haven't been fishing for them. They do chase down a crawler harness reeled in quickly when you're bringing in one line fast to get it out of the way. Sometimes it's more of a reaction/aggression hit than a feeding strike.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I wouldn't slow down for Pike if casting for them. Have you ever seen one come out of hiding and crush your bait?.....exactly what Big Dog said, Pike are super aggressive. The only time someone might want to slow down for Pike would be during front transitions, if the conditions called for it..otherwise, those baits meant to be reeled in steadily..burn em back this time of year.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
Get yourself a 3/8oz. double willow leaf spinnerbait in all white (just like a bass spinnerbait). Throw it along the channel edges and reeds that line any of the channels around Harsen's Island. The flat off the Snye just below Strawberry usually holds some real nice ones.

·
Registered
526 Posts
QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Aug 4 2009, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Get yourself a 3/8oz. double willow leaf spinnerbait in all white (just like a bass spinnerbait). Throw it along the channel edges and reeds that line any of the channels around Harsen's Island. The flat off the Snye just below Strawberry usually holds some real nice ones.

I will second the spinnerbait advice and like a bigger (over 1oz) spinnerbait with gold blades for pike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.