Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends, that know that some of you know a little about furnaces.....here's the deal

My house went down to 61 degrees (I like it at 70)
My furnace isn't kicking on. I just went through the process of what it takes to relight the pilot but i want to make sure i did it right. The only instruction i was a little confused about was "turn off all electrical power to the appliance" I couldn't find a switch on the furnace so i assumed that meant turning the (digital) thermostat to the off position.
It's been about 10 minutes and still no action. I do have a gas fireplace i can sleep in front of, no emergency here but I'm open to advice
It's cold!!!!

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
I'll fix the title for you in a sec.

Is your pilot light not staying lit? If not, sounds like it could be the same thing that mine was - the thermocouple.

Turning the switch off at the furnace is a safeguard. As long as you turn it off properly at the thermostat, this should be sufficient.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Jan 20 2004, 11:10 PM)I'll fix the title for you in a sec.

Is your pilot light not staying lit? If not, sounds like it could be the same thing that mine was - the thermocouple.

Turning the switch off at the furnace is a safeguard. As long as you turn it off properly at the thermostat, this should be sufficient.
Thanks Mike! I'm going to have to have somebody come take a look, this is like the 4th time this has happened.
I'm guessing it's the pilot???? The furnace was working earlier and it hasn't been for a couple of hours now.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
dookie there should be a switch on the side of your furnace to turn it off..

i wonder if thers a problem with your venting and your getting a draft back down. or if there is a crack in your heat exchanger thats blowing it out. ask who ever looks at it to check both out . hopefully its just like mike said though a thermocouple.8 or 9 dollar fix. do you have a co2 detector? might want to invest in one.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
QUOTE(Dookie @ Jan 20 2004, 11:22 PM)QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Jan 20 2004, 11:10 PM) I'll fix the title for you in a sec.

Thanks Mike! I'm going to have to have somebody come take a look, this is like the 4th time this has happened.
I'm guessing it's the pilot???? The furnace was working earlier and it hasn't been for a couple of hours now.
If the pilot light is lit, but the furnace is still not coming on, I have no idea what it may be.

But if the pilot is not staying lit (you should be able to see this) the thermocouple is a good bet.

So do you have a flame or no flame right now?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
give me a call 586-431-4312

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Pandora and I did all the trouble shooting we could over the phone and it's still not working. With the fireplace going it seems to be maintaining at 53-54

It's an electric ignition Capt'n Mike

My furnace is still under home warranty and I need someone to come out. Pandora said he could come look at it after 2:00 today but in order for repairs to be covered I need a bill from a contractor.

Anyone one in the mood for some business today? Any referrals?

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got off the phone with my Dad and the Home Warranty place had him call Great Dane Heating, they're supposed to be out within 4 hours.

Cross your fingers for me.

Thanks for the referral Bobrob, the warranty wouldnt cover Budget.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
long as they show up when they say and fix it right thats the main thing..no matter who it is.

cant have you and you kids walking around all day with sweaters on.. you did knit sweaters for winter for the ferrets right ??

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The weirdest thing just happened. I've been so cold all night, tried everything I could think of with the help of some LSCN peeps.
I'm waiting for the furnace people to get here and I started fiddling with the digital thermostat. I have already tried everything I could several times but figured I'd give it a shot again. I noticed the clock on it wasn't set right (it was before) so I set it to the right time and the furnace kicked on!I called to cancel my appointment and the woman on the phone told me it probably just needs new batteries.

I'm so happy! It's a warm 62 so far

thanks for all your help Pandora, and bobrob for offering me a portable heater...

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
iam pretty sure the batterys all they do is hold your prgm and clock . she turned off the breaker so thats why the clocks flashing or wrong batterys are dead or were.

there should be power still batterys in or not going to the furnace. when the breaker is on.

id stillhave them come out if its under warranty and wont cost anything, sounds like gas valve or thermocouple. or a loose wire possibly not making the circut.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(bobrob20 @ Jan 21 2004, 11:34 AM)iam pretty sure the batterys all they do is hold your prgm and clock . she turned off the breaker so thats why the clocks flashing or wrong batterys are dead or were.

there should be power still batterys in or not going to the furnace. when the breaker is on.

id stillhave them come out if its under warranty and wont cost anything, sounds like gas valve or thermocouple. or a loose wire possibly not making the circut.
well i hope it's not that since i already cancelled my appointment

I'm glad it's nice and warm in here for now

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
with the digital t-stat dead it will not recognize the propram maybe if she hit hold temp or something it may have worked. i am not sure i did not see what kind of t-stat she has. but i have seen the before in the honeywell and robert shaw t-stat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts