Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Been a couple of days, since a good debate.

Pin-pointing the location of "the man" (MDNR or OMNR), while out fishing.

Do you consider this a Courtesy or a Travesty??
Please try to keep away from personal attacks about rod limits, poaching, violating, beer drinking, contraband smokin and not carrying a passport.

Also, remember, we are all entitled to our opinions, so if u disagree with someone...no need to kick them.

Just answer the simple question. If someone calls out the location of "the man" over the VHF radio to alert others. How do you feel about it.

No secret here. Myself - a COURTESY.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I don't fear "The Man" because I'm not breaking any laws out there. I have the required gear in my boat so if "The Man" stops by to check for those things or my license I don't have a problem with it because they are just doing their job that the taxpayers & sportsman pay them to do. By them checking to make sure you have enough life preservers onboard can lead to a life being saved.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
its been a couple days since a good arguement so here we go

i twas dranking a bear whan i wis trooling with my fife rods and my kooler haad tin walleye the man elmost caut me butt the radeo saeved me i puut my 30anch ski bak in the wather

darn spelly thang wontt woark

just joking i am not getting my dog in this but i am sure it will be a good one

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I have never had to worry about them, game laws are set to preserve the resource we all NEED. Without fishing, i would be lost. Game laws protect the resource from POACHERS that are only out there for themselves. I would love penalties to be more severe, to prevent extra rods, to many fish, and other acts that POACHERS use. IF you* are a good fisherman, you* wouldn't need to break game laws to catch fish. I will never be heard calling out "the man" over a radio, I will however be heard on the other end of the R.A.P. Line if I see someone POACHING.

That said, i could careless about those of you out there drinking and smoking. If you have someone capable of getting the boat home, do what you want. Game Laws are there for the benefit of all us sportsmen, if you are intentionally breaking them you should find a new hobby...

*you wasnt used in reference to any one person...

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I don't believe all courtesy calls are meant to mean that the courtesy call goes out to all the people breaking the law.....hell, if you are like me... I could be driving down a highway and NOT even speeding and get the bright's flashed at me by a passing motorist.....and down the road I pass a cop waiting to nab someone. The first thought that pops through my head is......Wow, What a NICE person. I would never expect or suspect that person to think I was speeding at that moment. It's just to say HEY, THEY ARE THERE and proceed as you wish.

But then, if you get on the radio and say "Hey all you poachers, the MDNR are out in full force, watch each others backs out there and good luck!!"

THAT might be an issue lol

my .04 cents

·
Registered
958 Posts
No worries on my end. I appreciate the job that we pay them for & if I'm the on getting stopped & checked then I know they're doing their job. AS far as letting everyone know they're around I will not. If you have a need to know I figure it's because you're doing or don't have something that makes you "illegal". Keep up with the laws and follow them and you'll have no problems.

So I say letting everyone know is a travesty. The laws are there for a reason so follow them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I wont flash my headlights and I wont use the radio to tell people "the floating man" is coming. I figured if you aren't doing anything wrong in the first place you don't really need to know. I would feel like the under paid " lookout" that watches for the five-o
I'm hoping he/she is catching the idiots out there that deserve to be caught, fined, jailed, confiscation of equipment,beaten in the head, all of the above and some I didn't mention.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I like most of the rest of us fishermen and women don't care. I am not doing anything illegal. But as far as people calling over the radio to warn people doing illegal activities I think it is stupid. It would be compared to if you were driving home from somewhere and your house was being broken into and someone went to the burglars and said the cops are on their way so you should leave. Or like someone driving drunk and you pull up next to them and roll your window down and say "there is a cop just around the next bend" I wish they would just stop warning people and let those law breakers take there lumps. then maybe we wouldn't have so many boating accidents as a result of drunk driving. And we would have more fish due to less lawbreakers catching too many and then keeping them.

Oh yeah thought I'd add that this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Aug 6 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I like most of the rest of us fishermen and women don't care. I am not doing anything illegal. But as far as people calling over the radio to warn people doing illegal activities I think it is stupid. It would be compared to if you were driving home from somewhere and your house was being broken into and someone went to the burglars and said the cops are on their way so you should leave. Or like someone driving drunk and you pull up next to them and roll your window down and say "there is a cop just around the next bend" I wish they would just stop warning people and let those law breakers take there lumps. then maybe we wouldn't have so many boating accidents as a result of drunk driving. And we would have more fish due to less lawbreakers catching too many and then keeping them.

I'm not knockin' your overall opinion, but those comparisons are a little off base, I believe, when compared to what we are discussing. Those couple you mention would put peoples lives in jeopardy in the given moment, and you'd also be lending a hand in criminal activity and not reporting it <--which is illegal in itself.

People get in those boating accidents because the driver chose to drink alcohol and drive their boat.....BEFORE someone was able to pull-over and check on the watercraft.

I though this topic was more in regards to how you feel about receiving the courtesy call, opposed to sending one out to people?...Wasn't it?

You'd never catch me out on the water giving a courtesy call, because I'd want all those people that were poaching, drinking alcohol,etc...getting caught...100%. But to recieve a call, that is another story, the one I thought we were discussing.

·
Registered
363 Posts
QUOTE(Contender @ Aug 6 2009, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just answer the simple question. If someone calls out the location of "the man" over the VHF radio to alert others. How do you feel about it.
No secret here. Myself - a COURTESY.

It is sort of the same question to a point.
I know personally I wont make the call to warn and I don't like if someone warns me or anyone else. I don't need the warning. I even think it should be a law not to. Hard to track down though

It would be kind of hypocritical to say you wont warn but I want to know myself wouldn't it~
So generally if you answer either side one way you should be answering the other question the same way I would think.

·
Registered
631 Posts
This whole thing got started by boats in tournaments/contests using there radios to warn other participants that the "MAN" was near. Nobody should give a sh*t if the "MAN" is near. Fishing clubs and/or contest organizers and their members should be the first to recognize these red flags in the name of good sportsman like conduct and fair competition. If everybody has their American and/or Canadian licenses, the correct number of rods per person and no alcohol in Canadian waters or not too much alcohol in American waters - what is there to worry about? I'd call it a Travesty for Musky Sportfishing tournaments/contests.

·
Registered
525 Posts
First off its dis-respect. second. if your in canadian waters its a dis-regard for laws if a boater, or fisherman is breaking laws. . the other part is warning folks that are breaking laws sounds a trifle foolish.
if someone was stealing from your neighbors,,, would you warn them before the police came.. i am a believer in ,if you dont like the laws. LOBBY to have them changed. just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Aug 6 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Aug 6 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I like most of the rest of us fishermen and women don't care. I am not doing anything illegal. But as far as people calling over the radio to warn people doing illegal activities I think it is stupid. It would be compared to if you were driving home from somewhere and your house was being broken into and someone went to the burglars and said the cops are on their way so you should leave. Or like someone driving drunk and you pull up next to them and roll your window down and say "there is a cop just around the next bend" I wish they would just stop warning people and let those law breakers take there lumps. then maybe we wouldn't have so many boating accidents as a result of drunk driving. And we would have more fish due to less lawbreakers catching too many and then keeping them.

I'm not knockin' your overall opinion, but those comparisons are a little off base, I believe, when compared to what we are discussing. Those couple you mention would put peoples lives in jeopardy in the given moment, and you'd also be lending a hand in criminal activity and not reporting it <--which is illegal in itself.

People get in those boating accidents because the driver chose to drink alcohol and drive their boat.....BEFORE someone was able to pull-over and check on the watercraft.

I though this topic was more in regards to how you feel about receiving the courtesy call, opposed to sending one out to people?...Wasn't it?

You'd never catch me out on the water giving a courtesy call, because I'd want all those people that were poaching, drinking alcohol,etc...getting caught...100%. But to recieve a call, that is another story, the one I thought we were discussing.

And you are aiding in a criminal activity by calling across the radio waves that the man is coming if someone is breaking the law. What makes the laws any different on the waterways as opposed to the street. If you call out a warning you are aiding in letting someone break the law.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.