Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A British man kidnapped by Somali pirates says he fears he and his wife will be killed in a matter of days.

Paul and Rachel Chandler, of Tunbridge Wells, Kent, disappeared while sailing towards Tanzania on 23 October.

In a telephone interview with ITN, Mr Chandler, 59, said he and his wife, 55, had been separated but they had spoken on the telephone 12 days ago.

He said his captors had lost patience and had set a deadline of three or four days before the couple would die.

In their last phone call, Mrs Chandler had told her husband she was being constantly tormented and was "giving up".

Beaten and whipped

Mr Chandler likened their treatment to that of a "captive animal".

He told ITN: "We tried to stay together and they threw us to the ground and whipped us, and beat Rachel with the rifle butts and I was dragged off and taken to a different location."

He said he was "just existing in hope" and said: "I'm afraid that they will just kill us and abandon us in the desert here."

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are monitoring the situation very closely and are doing everything we can to help secure a release.

"We remain in regular contact with the family and are providing support.

"We call for the safe and swift release of Paul and Rachel."

Source

Maybe if England goes a little "postal" on these parasites they might get the message.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
The Brits have commandos too. But I was thinking a more subtle approach.

Park an aircraft carrier and carry out round the clock air operations sinking anything that looks like a pirate vessel and flattening any suspected pirate bases. 10 or 15 days of that will send a message.

I think most governments have sat on their hands because the only losses have been money. For pirates to seize a private yacht and kill it's owner and his wife is something different. The Brits don't wave a big stick like we do. But this might move them to take action.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
these somali pirates are only victims of the imperialistic pigs known as the united states and england... they are only trying to survive on what the capitilists left when they raped their countries.... instead of an aircraft carrier being sent, a pink ship loaded with money, food, water, and medicine should be sent to this country to help these poor freedom seekers....

ps... this is how the current liberal administrations in u.s. and g.b. think...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Jan 22 2010, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>these somali pirates are only victims of the imperialistic pigs known as the united states and england...

ps... this is how the current liberal administrations in u.s. and g.b. think...

LOL...no doubt!! I'd like to see ALL of these pirates become VICTIMS of a well placed .50 cal round to the forehead!!...but that's just the cynical, unforgiving, conservative, take NO prisoner side of me rearing it's ugly head!!

I like Stodge's plan too....man it would be FUN to man a gattling gun with 2000rds and send a little love their way!! "Say Hello to my-leo 'friend!!,...BEEEEEEYOTCH!!"

·
LSCN Sponsor
728 Posts
QUOTE(Jazzy @ Jan 22 2010, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I hope they are released unharmed. But honestly, to sail in those waters is insane.

Goose,

with out machine guns.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK maybe they do need SEALS:

Yacht couple rescue 'was bungled'

A special forces operation mounted to rescue a British couple kidnapped by Somali pirates was "bungled", the BBC has learned.

Paul and Rachel Chandler, of Tunbridge Wells, Kent, were captured while sailing towards Tanzania on 23 October.

A Whitehall official told the BBC's security correspondent Frank Gardner the rescue was aborted as a result of technical problems and security fears.

The pirates have since renewed their threats to kill the couple.

At the time of the kidnapping, a Royal Marines boarding party, attached to the Royal Fleet Auxiliary ship The Wave Knight, could see the Chandlers and the pirates.

But the marines did not intervene at the request of the couple, amid concerns they would be killed, said Gardner.

Decision delays

The Whitehall official told him a special forces operation had also been mounted to save the couple.

The Special Boat Service team was deployed from the UK, but was delayed on the way.

The Whitehall official told Gardner: "There was some bungling here."

The official said it was a combination of technical problems at one of the transit staging posts and delays in decision taking in Whitehall.

The Special Boat Service team arrived nearby, but was not in time to rescue the couple.

Gardner said: "It's very unlikely that we will ever be told what went wrong, but what I will say is this - if, God forbid, anything does happen to the Chandlers and they do get harmed by the pirates, I would expect pressure for some kind of investigation into how these mistakes were made."

Earlier the BBC spoke to one of the pirates who said if the UK Government was not willing to pay the ransom, the couple's relatives should find the money.

The pirate, who called himself Adowe, did not say how much he wanted.

Mr Chandler, 59, said in a telephone interview with ITN, broadcast on Thursday, that he and his wife, 55, had been separated and beaten by the pirates and he expected to be killed within "three or four days".

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
"NO,..we don't want any $%!#$ tea and crumpet's!!...now get in,...sit down,..shut up,..and hold on,...things could get a little hairy here!!"
"Come here MR. PIWATE,........Wana PWAY wif the GOOOD GUYS?!"

Attachments

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
The Discovery Channel had a documentary on the ship that the Navy Seals were involved with last year. The Maersk Alabama.

It was an amazing story. The crew and captain and the Navy Seals.

This guy has the whole documentary in 5 parts. This is part one. Look in his videos when you click on the link.

This clip is from the end there is much more to the story.

Matt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts