Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody Know a place where My wife and I could throw up a tent and camp. Maybe build a fire and spend the night. We've got an 18ft c.c. and cant sleep on it but we would like to spend the night on the lake.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Most of the islands in Lake St Clair are privately owned or under federal/state control... what looks like an abandoned island may be otherwise. (..in other words... You'se takes your chances!)

Folks DO camp on Gull Island regularly (It has a unique designation as dredging spoils... if the feds pass it on to the DNR, camping will end). There is a campground/marina on the North Channel in Clay Township, just downstream of the ferry ...also a similar set-up at Micthell's Bay in Canada. I suppose one COULD anchor and camp at the State Park in Algonac. Don't try Seaway Island unless you've got the proper permits (Canadian & Indian...$$$).

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where is the one on the north channel in clay township? Do you know the name or anybody I could contact? Sounds good.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Folks DO camp on Gull Island regularly (It has a unique designation as dredging spoils... if the feds pass it on to the DNR, camping will end).

Whats the news on this situation? Is it gonna happen.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
QUOTE(Capn Ken @ Jun 9 2004, 01:59 AM)Most of the islands in Lake St Clair are privately owned or under federal/state control... what looks like an abandoned island may be otherwise. (..in other words... You'se takes your chances!)

Folks DO camp on Gull Island regularly (It has a unique designation as dredging spoils... if the feds pass it on to the DNR, camping will end). There is a campground/marina on the North Channel in Clay Township, just downstream of the ferry ...also a similar set-up at Micthell's Bay in Canada. I suppose one COULD anchor and camp at the State Park in Algonac. Don't try Seaway Island unless you've got the proper permits (Canadian & Indian...$$$).
what kind of Indian Permit do you need?
and for that matter what about a canadian permit?
Isn't an I-68 enough?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
QUOTE(pirlgirl @ Jun 17 2004, 12:47 PM)QUOTE(Capn Ken @ Jun 9 2004, 01:59 AM) Most of the islands in Lake St Clair are privately owned or under federal/state control... what looks like an abandoned island may be otherwise. (..in other words... You'se takes your chances!)

what kind of Indian Permit do you need?
and for that matter what about a canadian permit?
Isn't an I-68 enough?
That island, although in Canada, is also a reservation for native americans. They have their own rules, which includes a not so warm welcome if you go there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts