Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Algonac across from the park ,

Fair Haven Public acess at the party store next door.

Gooses House. I heard he was putting up a pool for pooches.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, just looking to drive him by car and have him swim. He is to big (100 lbs)to lift him in and out of the boat not to mention all of the hair that comes with owning a Lab. I think Algonac across from the park would be good. I want to stay away from fishing areas as I worry about stray hooks. Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I sometimes drive up to Metro and go to the Day Sail ramp west of the beach, as long as the e-coli levels are not bad. It has a sandy beach you can walk right into the lake.(of course you have to sneak the dog in, but I tell them I'm just driving around).

There also is this indoor swimming pool for dogs that just opened in Shelby Twp. that Im going to check out soon.

http://barkabout.net/

·
Registered
691 Posts
QUOTE(DropOut @ Jul 14 2009, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I sometimes drive up to Metro and go to the Day Sail ramp west of the beach, as long as the e-coli levels are not bad. It has a sandy beach you can walk right into the lake.(of course you have to sneak the dog in, but I tell them I'm just driving around).

There also is this indoor swimming pool for dogs that just opened in Shelby Twp. that Im going to check out soon.

http://barkabout.net/

oh my! to have enough disposable income to pay for this!! in my dreams (and my dogs)

·
Registered
70 Posts
ya know I was having the same problem looking for places to take the dogs swimming for quite some time,
till this summer

that small beach in Algonac across from the park is a gr8 place (but) its right by the road and the cars are doing 55mph...
the turnaround by the moot is gr8 too (but) the cops tell ya you cant park there "no parking"

metro has the no dogs rule
and all other places on lsc, lsc river, or detroit river is privately owned and you can only go by boat

we found the only safe place to go by car is that state park beach in lexington..

till this summer we found a SWEET dog park in lake orion, it has tons of land to let them run,
and a dog lake (only for the dogs) its way cool!!! http://www.oakgov.com/parksrec/ppark/orion.html

and the other cool place we take them now is dodge park #4 on cass lake
http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/...SPRK&id=445
clean warm shallow water and its not mucky!

well I hope this helps

JoHnBoY

·
Registered
691 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jul 14 2009, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(itstyme2change @ Jul 14 2009, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>oh my! to have enough disposable income to pay for this!! in my dreams (and my dogs)
No, girl friend! You and I are in the wrong business! OMG!

Exactly what my friend at work said... we are in the wrong business!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the kids and I took the trip to the dog park in Lake Orion and it was well worth the trip. What a great place, we will be back at least once a week. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you go to Stony Creek, go to the Northdale/Southdale Picnic area, make the first right and park on your left and walk straight down. Easy in and out of the water and there is a picnic table right there. Spent an 1 1/2 there two Sundays ago and no one was there.

The dog park in Lake Orion is great, but my Lab wouldn't go in off the dock and insisted on going in the water where all the mud was! She also got sick twice after going there. I never heard of anyone elses dogs getting sick after visiting that park but don't want to chance it again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
QUOTE(wildhare @ Jul 21 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So the kids and I took the trip to the dog park in Lake Orion and it was well worth the trip. What a great place, we will be back at least once a week. Thanks for the tip!

SWEET!!!

I'm glad you liked it there..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm glad I finally came across some info on where to take dogs swimming. I ended taking my dog to cass lake after i read that it was a good place. I have to say I probably won't go back. 2 weeks ago I went there and it was so mucky that I sank in about a foot at the dog area beach. I was taking my dog swimming for the first time and the muck made it hard.

I did read on here that the lexington beach was a good place. Looking on google maps, it look huge. I called what I think is the right beach in lexington and asked if dogs are allowed and they said no. So I'm wondering the cross roads to the place in lexington, is the place where anyone has gone with their dog? Im really just looking for a place to be able to to swim with my dog. Some of the suggestions are for dogs only I found out.

I'm looking for any more detail info on the lexington beach of anything else in the area. I'm in Macomb township area so not really looking for a real long drive, maybe an 1hr or so.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Sep 23 2009, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Partnership and Secret Agent bring their dogs by boat to Goose Bay and even the Moot and swim with their dogs.

yeah...but thats by boat, right ?
he wants to drive in.

if u are macomb twp....fair haven is going to be ur best bet...

you can walk the dog down the ramp and into the bay !

tons of dogs in munchies on the weekends :)

Good Luck !

We have an 80lb lab in our family too. he loves loves loves to swim....
we are on bouvier bay...so we walk him down our neighbors wooden ladder (ours is steel)
and right into the water....omg...he loves it and so do we.
If you get stuck and need a place...pm me and I'll tell you how to get here.

Happy to share this beautiful bay

1 - 20 of 23 Posts