Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, I just bought two wally boards and was wondering if they will handle good size muskie baits ( spinners and shallow cranks) without buying the upgrade garbage. I have never used planers but I'm finding that I'm wearing out some of my muskie friends so if I want someone to take my pic and net my fish I'd better get good at it. Hopefully, I will make it up in a couple weeks so I want to be ready to rock. Also, will the atwood plastic rod holders break with a muskie or be alright. Thanks for any help, Rusty. Last fish caught couple days ago in indiana Water Boat Smile Vertebrate Sunglasses

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(soule @ Aug 20 2009, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>are they inline or regualr planer boards?

Not sure what the difference is. They are walleye planer boards made by church tackle co. One is port and one is starboard. They are probably the most common I'd say, I bought them at dunhams sports. It says for muskie bass walleye and stripers. I tried to get a pic, but its copyrighted.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would use 1x6 or 1x8 cedar or mahogany. 24-36" long and 18-24" wide. Offset them about 4" and assemble with 5/8 threaded stainless rod.

If you use those Church planar boards, put a hook on them. I guarantee the muskie will hit them.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Depending on the size of the cranks and the spinners you're right on the edge of what the walleye boards can handle. Make sure you move the weight all the way to the forward position. I know guys that run up to 500 feet of copper line off of them. That's close to 2 lbs but they are running them at 2.5 mph. I run them all the time slamon fishing with lengths of leadcore and 300 feet of copper. For a once in while thing I say go for it
Now your Attwoods on the other hand are asking for trouble. Easy way to lose a couple hundred dollars in gear in one horrible second. Tite lok makes a very economical adjustable rod holder that will fit your needs. I believe they still sell them for around $30

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
NO!!!!! A church board will not hold a muskie bait at 4 mph.

As far as the rod holders, plastic is not the way to go long-term, however if you only plan on using them once in a while and that's what you have, try them and see.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would not use plastic rod holders, they will break I had it happen with a salmon. I use Down easters salt dogs they work great. As for the planner boards you will want bigger boards to run multiple lines 2 or 3 per board. And dont forget to get some heavy planner board releases,big muskie baits pull hard, Lapper jures makes some good ones. $15.00 for 6. Good luck when you come up. Soot me a PM when you come up.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
My church board tips down and hangs back with a 2 oz inline and a crawler harness only going 1.5 mph and if a 3# walleye will nearly take the board under at that slow of a speed....

Just like the plastic rod holders, use what you have and see if you can get by with it, but don't buy a church board to troll traditional musky baits IMO.

It sounds like the guy wants to troll for muskies with a walleye set-up. Would it work? eh, maybe on a very calm day with no waves and no surface weeds. As soon as those walleye boards get dunked, they dive like a crankbait and that would be a big problem trolling that fast. Probably rip the board right off and then you need to turn the rig around and chase the board. Hell I had a 4# bass pop a board off on Wednesday.

For $20-$30 he can buy some pine planks, some hardware, and an old spool of weed whacker line and make his own muskie boards. Probably has a gallon of Thompson's water seal in the shed. My dad made his own and they work great and have taken many muskies. Pick up some releases at a tackle shop for $10 and have at it the right way. Then if he decides he likes trolling for muskies he can stick with his home-made boards or drop $250 and buy a nice set-up.

It's the same argument we had a month ago about can a guy musky fish with his bass tackle.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I used inlines just last week for musky. The lures I used pretty much maxed out the boards. I didn't feel like getting out the big boards. No problem detecting a bite. I was using bucktails and othe 8-10" musky baits. I have Off Shore boards.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Offshore brand boards are primo and will ride higher than a church board. I have both, and the Offshores are far superior unless they have come up with a better design on the church boards in the past few years.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I wouldn't use in-lines for musky but if you do use them here's a VIDEO of in-lines being used on St. Clair.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.