Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recenlty started really learning how to fish for Bass and experimenting using Plasti Worms. I have been using the weedless type that have usually 3 hooks in them already and doing well( Not ON LSC!) I have also seen the Carolina Rig style using just one hook. It seems the the 3 hook style might catch more fish being that if they nip at the tail or something you can get them with the 2nd or 3rd hook? Any comments! Thanks

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Those are called pre-rigged worms. Bass Stopper pre-rigged worms catch a lot. Try the one that is purple and has a white stripe, with 2 or 3 hooks.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Chidseyd: The more hooks the better your chance's are. also more hooks more weeds. Try both rigs and use what's more practical for your style of fishing. Berkley power worms are great as they are scientifically designed to smell like what fish like and they hold on to them 19 times longer. DPR is right with the purple Lake Orion bass find them irresistable. The white stripe or white dots work excellent.. Don't set the hook to fast with the Carolina rig pause a split second and that's hard to do. Practice-Practice that. Also Eagle Claw razor sharp hooks are tremendous. Or any Hook boasting super sharp. That makes a world of differance....h2o

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Bass "usually" don't nip the tail. The nips you feel are likely bluegill or other small sun fish. If you see scrap marks on your tail, again those are likley bluegill or sunfish. Bass "usually" engulf the the entire worm in one giant suck. Taking sand and whatever else is on the bottom with it. Of course I say "usually". Nothing is ever set in stone.

Take slsail's advice. Learn to texas rig. The single hook will do just fine. Besides it is cheaper to buy single hooks and packs of worms then it is to buy the pre-rigged variety.

·
Registered
927 Posts
you said you just started bass fishing. thats how i started. with bass stoppers. purple and white is the best color, i agree.

as you spend more time fishing for bass, you will learn more and more techniques. the texas rig is probably the best one to know. you can apply it to any situation with any soft plastic.

if you are not familiar with this rig, heres a run down.

1) insert the point of the hook into the top of your bait, almost like sliding a live worm onto a hook. but stop about 1/8" to 1/4" into the bait and bring the point of the hook back out.

2) pull your hook shank through the bait until the eye of the hook is nestled in the top of the bait.

3) line up the point of the hook to where you want it to come through the worm in the middle. try to keep it so the worm will remain straight once rigged. pop the point through the worm and let it come out just a little, then retuck the point into the soft plastic.

thats pretty much about it. this will keep your bait free of snags and allow you to work it in just about any cover. this rig is very important to learn and it will allow you to fish with many different styles of bait from worms, to hula grubs and stick baits, soft jerkbaits, critter baits such as crawfish, lizards, brush hogs, and tubes.

if you would like a more detailed explanation with pictures, look up www.bassdozer.com and go to the fishing articles section under rigging. but make sure you do this once your all done visiting the st clait network

hope this helps. if you have any more questions, dont hesitate to ask. everyone here are more than willing to help a fellow angler.

madman himself

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had the most luck fishing with Power worms that are Texas rigged. Motor Oil is my favorite color, but I have also had a lot of luck on purple and black. I tend to use the big 10" size during the summer. Big lures = big fish. Every once in a while I will catch an insane rock bass on a 10 incher. I have caught bass on all type of plastics, but Berkley is my favorite. I probably have about 20 lbs of plastics in my boat at all times, so take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If your planning on doing some fishing on beautiful Lake St. Clair it would be a wise idea to learn how to use tube baits. Really easy to use and they do catch bass and about any other fish that swims.

bbdesign: if you've only got about 20 pounds in the boat I would say its about time to restock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts