Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing off Selfridge last 2 weekends Last weekend you could almost walk on dead fish in the water. This weekend dead fish were still numberious but not as many. Went fishing and caught 15-20 blue gill with one eye swollen and pustious other eye clear and leasions all over. got one bluegill that had a parasite on the botton side about 1/2 inch forward of the anal cavity.

Several (almost all) had enlarged anal cavities and also BRIGHT red about twice the size as normal...

Have you ever caught fish thought you cleaned them all but left one in water over night? I have and when I took it out of the water I was extremely slimy YUCK. That is what many of the fish caught this past week felt like.

I have pictures and will post as soon as I get them off my partners camera. I am also going to write DNR and include pictures

Anyone know what is going on"

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not talking about bass (although there are alot of them floating) I'm taking about blue gill with one swolen eye and looking awful slimy and enlarged BRIGHT RED anal cavities. Somehting is going on out there

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
There was an article in the Detroit News Friday about the possible reason for the die off.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
If we knew exactly what's put in the water I think we would faint. Just the feed alone for the SCR is horrific. IMO

h

·
Registered
215 Posts
Off DNR webpage. read between the
about parasites.
Spring Kill

Spring kill occurs in lakes and rivers when fish survive the winter but die as the water warms rapidly in May and June. It rarely claims many fish and is usually over in a couple of weeks. Spring kill is almost always due to natural causes beyond our influence. The usual victims are large bluegills and crappies, and other fish which spawn in the spring such as perch, bass, pike and suckers.

A combination of stresses is usually responsible. Fish come through the winter in a weakened condition because they've been eating at a reduced rate. As the water warms, their metabolism increases and they divert much energy to strenuous spawning activities.
In lakes, additional stress may be added during "turnover", which is when wave action stirs up bottom water low in oxygen and high in noxious gases. Diseases and parasites also become more active and on a few occasions have been implicated in fish kills.
An example is the spring salmon mortality in Lake Michigan caused by bacteria kidney disease (BKD).

·
Registered
347 Posts
Side view of Blue gill you cant tell me this is normal kill off

Second fish is an is a leach or parasite I pulled off the fish which I should not have done I should have taken apicture while it was still attached but look above the anal

the anal enargement probably caught 35 like this

Water Organism Fish Underwater Terrestrial plant
Eye Jaw Scaled reptile Scar Fish

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(campfishitus @ Jun 15 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Side view of Blue gill you cant tell me this is normal kill off

Second fish is an is a leach or parasite I pulled off the fish which I should not have done I should have taken apicture while it was still attached but look above the anal

the anal enargement probably caught 35 like this

View attachment 62555
View attachment 62557

Did you read any of the articles online or from Mike Thomas?

So far they think it is a bacteria.....

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Thats some nasty chit.....never seen that in my life

ive only seen 3 dead fish so far in lake huron up here in the thumb, and they were bass

1 - 18 of 18 Posts