Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read or heard that there is a power boat race scheduled on LSC for the weekend of June 28-29? I also believe I read that people would be able to watch it from Metro Beach Park? Is that correct? I am fearful of the mile road section and the 400 Club if that is true. I may have to stay up in Anchor Bay to avoid this but I would rather not. Can anybody confirm this for me?

I came up there last year from Cincinnati during the same time of year and had a blast! You guys have a great fishery there in LSC. I am very envious of the bass fishery there. Nothing down here can compare. You guys were kind enough to give me info on where to fish and it paid off well. My two buddies and I scored very well on the LMs up there and we hope to repeat. As non-professional dedicated bassers, it was great to see the cooperation of the other people on this board.

So, tell me about the power boat race. That scares me.

UFM82A

G

·
Don't be scared. That weekend is a busy one, though.
Friday, June 27th is Jobbie Nooner, a big party on Gull Island.
Saturday is the poker run. Boats will be leaving out of Metro Beach, running to the Cove Marina in Canada on the Thames river, running down to Wyandotte, then back to Metro Beach.
Sunday the 29th is the Silver Cup Series races off Metro Beach. Click here for more information:
http://www.silvercupseries.com/mopra/map.htm#Poker

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Noooo..!! Not the boat race. My partner and I are fishing the Oakland Bassmaster Tourney on the 29th. We got caught on the wrong side of that boat race a few years back returning to the weigh-in at Ensign. We had to circle waaay around the course and idle our way through hundreds of tuna boats churning up the water. But of course we had a livewell full of toads which we let go halfway back to the ramp because we were way overdue. I guess I'll need to make some alterations to our game plan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sooooooo, looking at the map for the course, it looks like the mile road area will be CLOSED??? Can you say Holy Crap, Batman? That really stinks. Figures I plan this 6 months ahead of time and I hit this.

Anchor Bay anyone? Man, this is bad.

UFM82

·
Registered
440 Posts
That makes me sick to my stomach. Certain groups of people are allowed the privilege of closing down parts of the lake to hold their event and others aren't. Who is getting the $$?

·
Registered
440 Posts
What time does the Poker Run start on Saturday?

Who and what kind of boats participate in the Poker Run?

Do they have to obey the speed limit laws (55mph within a mile of shore)?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Oh come on cameraguy, do you have to ask?

Click on the link to see the poker run course. No part of the lake is safe, or the river as far as Gibralter. I've seen these folks run through a group of fishing boats before. Scary. They go so fast that the cupholders in their boats don't work too well so they all have to hold their beers.

The BFL is gonna be a blast. (sarcasm off)

·
Registered
320 Posts
cameraguy,

Sorry, I was just commenting on the speed question. The itinerary on the site lists the start time as 9:30am. (leaving Metro) The first stop is the on Thames, then to Gibralter. You'll outrun them in the AM no problem. Watch for them coming at you head-on in the river if you decide to return when they are heading down. You'll probably see the first ones in the river between 11 - 11:30 to noon I'm guessing. Who knows though how many and exactly when.

Dave

G

·
Talk about somthing making you sick to your stomach...

Guys, it's a big lake. We put up with crowded launches all the time because it seems like there is a tournament every weekend at Harley Ensign. Get there at the wrong time and you're launching while everyone is swarming around trying to get out for the weigh-in. Then you have to navigate around the people fishing in the channel, and then again when you get to Metro. The DNR had trap nets out restricting my access to that part of the lake, so guess what? I went somewhere else. Every year (except this year) the hydroplane races on the Detroit river have it shut down. So you just go around the other side of Belle Isle.

Because someone is on a poker run doesn't make them immune to the laws. Just like if someone is in a bass tournament doesn't mean they can powerload at the ramp or run over 55 within a mile of shore starting out or trying to get back in time for the weigh-in. I'm sure that never happens. <sarcasm off> I believe the poker run is more stringent in that they don't allow alcohol to be consumed during the run (no worries about the cup holders), while Michigan law says it's OK. The law also states you have to stay 100 feet away from other boats, so if you see someone coming closer than that to you, get their numbers, take a picture, and call the Man. Take a second to consider how close 100 feet is out on the lake, and you'll realize most people pass other boats, regardless of the type, with a lot more distance than that.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sorry, but when I'm using the ramp (as I'm allowed to, just like anybody else) I'm (usually
) not endangering other people's lives. I think going 80-90mph on the water on a busy weekend is. That's why I am asking about the speed. I don't condone bass boaters breaking the laws or common sense safety rules, why would you condone extremely high speed boating through the middle of a crowded lake?

It is good to hear that there are rules prohibiting alcohol during the PR. Bass tournaments have had those rules in place for years and years.

My concern here is safety. Last year during the events mentioned, I had several boats blaze by me at a distance of considerably closer than 100. Three jet skis came within about 25' at full tilt. It is kind of hard to get an MC # when they shoot by at the speed of light.

Believe me, I am trying to stay out of the way. That's why I am asking these questions. A 2000+lb boat going over 40mph is pretty much going to splatter my marshmallow-like body all over the lake should it happen to slam into me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We all need to share the lake, but I think whats a little frustrating is after waiting all winter to legally bass fish, that on the first day of the bass season opening on the entire lake having to deal with the fleet of boats. The metro park won't let the boats in early for a tournament to avoid some of the conflict and there is no use of a microphone, not even in the middle of the day, It does't always seem like other groups are equally restricted.

I think everyone needs to work together get along on our shared resource and I support the power boaters in organizing events on the lake as I would hope they would support the tournament fishermen in their use of the lake. We all know how groups can be targeted for undo restriction and with that knowledge should recognize that all groups should be supported in their right to hold events and use the resource. A little courtesy and common sense go along way.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
There's the Bill272 I know and love...

I was getting worried.

Hey cameraguy, should you now go by marshmellowboy? That's a good one.

If lakes weren't meant for fishing, God wouldn't have put fish in them!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Reelin Realtor @ Jun 20 2003, 02:26 PM)We all need to share the lake, but I think whats a little frustrating is after waiting all winter to legally bass fish, that on the first day of the bass season opening on the entire lake having to deal with the fleet of boats. The metro park won't let the boats in early for a tournament to avoid some of the conflict and there is no use of a microphone, not even in the middle of the day, It does't always seem like other groups are equally restricted.

I think everyone needs to work together get along on our shared resource and I support the power boaters in organizing events on the lake as I would hope they would support the tournament fishermen in their use of the lake. We all know how groups can be targeted for undo restriction and with that knowledge should recognize that all groups should be supported in their right to hold events and use the resource. A little courtesy and common sense go along way.
Well said....

Mini

·
Registered
161 Posts
Fortunately, I won't be out there on Saturday, so I don't need to worry about the Poker Run. For Sunday, the course area is open till about 10 am when the patrol boats come out and start throwing you out of the area. The last time this happened, my partner and I were forced in the opposite direction (further south) than we wanted to go (can't argue with the coasties). We explained our predicament to them, and they still would'nt let us pass through, even though it was an hour before race time. When we did manage to find a way around, it was'nt the race boats I was worried about, it was the 100's of spectator tuna boats crowding into the area, with no regard for the man trying to pass through, they were more concerned about there view of the race.

G

·
Reelin Realtor, agreed. Especially on the courtesy and common sense...

Hey Dan, didn't want to disappoint... haha.

The organizers originally picked the date based on the schedule of other events. They expected the Gold Cup races on the river to be the second weekend in June and jobbienooner on the third Friday. Then the hydroplane races were cancelled and JN was scheduled for the 27th. They probably would have preferred to have it this weekend coming up.

Anyways, this thread was looking like another "All tuna boaters are bad" diatribe, so I thought I'd present another side. I agree that we need to share the lake, and if you compare the number of organized poker runs to the number of organized fishing tournaments, I'd expect to find the poker runners seriously outnumbered. As for the upcoming event, will everyone obey the 55 mph within a mile of shore? Probably not, but most of the running in the lake will be in open water. Will everyone run within 100 feet of people out fishing? I doubt any will, nobody wants fishing line tearing up their propshaft seals. Again, consider how close 100 feet is. The red buoy to the shore by the green lighthouse at the mouth of the Clinton is about 200 feet according to charts. I wouldn't consider running that close to another boat fishing and I can legally run half that distance closer (obviously still responsible for my wake). I guess the timing kind of sucks for the start of the season for you guys, but the poker run shouldn't be too much of a problem. 9:30 in front of Metro will be loud and when they come back around 5:00. Unless you spend the entire day around Metro, you will probably only be bothered by them once, at most.

OK, now I have a question. What is the start of a bass tournament like? I don't get out that early, so I'm really curious to know. I'd expect everyone to get just past the no-wake buoys and haul butt out of there. You don't throw a 250 hp o/b on a light 20' boat to just mosey out to your fishing spot, do you? I've also heard of people running down to Lake Erie for a tournament starting at Metro or the Clinton River. Does this really happen?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
The start of a bass tournament is really an ooze off, not a blast off.

Boats are let go in intervals seconds apart and idle past the no wake bouys and then hammer down (if the lake is flat enough).

People do run to far away places, including Lakes Erie and Huron....as long as youg et back by check in time you could run to Niagra and back...lol

Mini

1 - 17 of 17 Posts