Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna know of all the cool Poker Runs held on Lake St. Clair. If anybody has information/like contacts or even web sites. Please let me know. Big or small, I would like to know them all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went over to Grand Haven last year to observe the Smoke on the Water Run. It looked really cool. That run is definatly "Big Time". The cost is $1000.00 for four people in the boat. Most people say that's a lot of cash, but remember it's a tax write-off. And you get fed and recieve quite a care package. And the winning hand get's $10,000.00. The odds aren't bad.
But, I would like to do some smaller Poker Runs over here before I go "Big Time".

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are usually two to three small poker runs during the week on the lake.
Sunsation sponsered one and the proceeds went to help handicapped children , it was $100 per person and each person on the boat got a hand. (no this isn't the Sunsation rally that is another one)
Sommers Marine also sponsered one, same thing $100 per person. They are alot of fun and anytype of boat can enter. Last year (I forgot which one) Tomcat (46? Skater with 1200's) was in it. Yes that was the fastest boat there ! My boat is small and runs 81 (GPS) and is usually in the top 5 fastest boats.
I also heard that Poker Runs America might have another one , I'm sure that will be a little more costly and will have most of the big guns in the poker run scene there .
I also went to spectate at the Smoke on the Water run, We trailed my friends 31 Scarab (72 GPS) over there. We got passed by a 42 Cigarette with two 12 cylinder Torque Motors like we were standing still! Lot's of cool stuff !
Sorry don't have any exact dates yet. but hope this helps some

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I would love to check out smoke on the water! Is there a lot of other stuff going on over there that weekend? If we brought a boat over but didn't get in the run would we still have a great boating weekend?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rerun,
Grand Haven is such a cool place. I want to take the boat over there on a regular weekend , get a slip at the public docks which are right downtown and just party. The river goes right downtown so it is like cruising gratiot or woodward. There is alot of serious iron over there too.
The bar scene is pretty cool there, too.
On Smoke on the Water weekend the place is off the hook. Boats, and people everywhere !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We'll have to hook up this summer! If you or anybody else(Rerun etc,) is gonna make it over to Grand Haven. Let everyone know. I would love to go over again.

I have seen TomCat run before, that is quite a site! I am going to look up those leads you gave to get hooked up with the Poker Runs. Nothing like having events like that in your own home town.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Chuck!
You forget about the Coastal Marine Poker Run?!?

Last year (per someone's recommendation ) I entered in the Coastal Marine Poker Run. It's out of Port Clinton, Ohio... so it's no longer Lake St. Clair... but it's close enough.

Last year's entry fee was $250 per boat (included four people). Donuts for breakfast, Nice lunch, mediocre dinner, T-shirt and other various stuff.

I've heard a lot of really good stories about the S.O.T.W. poker run in Grand Haven. Seriously considering running it this year. Might be a little out of my league, but still should be fun.

-Bayley

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bayley,
This is the third effin year that I've missed that poker run !!
1st year : Broken motor
2nd year : broken drive
3rd year : Job loss scare, didn't want to spend
the money

Although 4 years ago I won it !! Don't remember my hand but got $1100 and didn't have to run the boat! They cancelled it due to rough weather so we pulled the cards in the shop and partied all day !

·
Registered
508 Posts
The smoke on the water one has a full page ad in powerboat this month. There is a magazine Poker Runs America.
Hey Chuck you guys going to tip up? saw Homer at White Lake last weekend.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Probably not, I have no way of getting my sleds up there. My dad is using the trailer to take his sled up to the UP with his buddies.
I heard Homer and everyone have been going to White lake. I just can't get into the drag racing stuff, it's kind of boring. Even if I had the fastest sled there I'm sure it would get boring after a while.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Convincer253, beyond the poker runs from the group on offshoreonly.com we will be getting some fun runs going this summer. Last year we finally managed to get a run from Metro Beach to St Clair and had lunch at Pepper Joes, then headed back to Muskamoot for a raft off in September. Nine boats made the run, Bayley bailed and Chuck broke, but made the raft off. Keep an eye out for those.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Might want to try Poker Runs America Magazine
14100 Oakland Ave.
Highland Park, MI 48203
(800)354-9145
Very informative and carrys schedules of most Poker runs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There was another Offshoreonly.com fun run over Labor Day weekend 2001. I think there were around 25 boats that met in the lagoon at Metro, ran down to the Beach Grill, then ran across to Muscamoot. There was supposed to be another stop at the Sandbar on the Belle River, but we broke up the Metro raft kind of late and spent too much time at the Beach Grill. The cost was whatever you spent on gas and lunch. We top out around 64 gps and ran near the back of the pack, but it was a blast. It seems that no matter what speed you run, there will be other boats running along side. There were several LCSN members there. We weren’t able to make the one this past fall, but from the pics I saw, it looked pretty good, too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let's all keep the info coming as spring nears. All these fun runs sound really cool. By the sounds of it, us LSCN'ers could really dominate the parties this year. Let's do it!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Bailed?!?

I told a friend that I would help him move some "honey" (he is starting a 'mead' brewery) from his office to his house. How heavy can honey be, right?

Well, six 700 lbs. barrels later I was finally ready to hit the water. Those son's of bitches are H-E-A-V-Y!!! On the plus side, I got half a tank of free boat gas out of him! I was bummed that I missed the run this past September. Oh well, ran down to PIB that night instead. Hands down, the best conditions I have ever seen driving down there. Coming back on Sunday, however, was a different story.

Just recently started posting over here on LSC net. I'll have a lot more free time this summer to join in on more fun runs.

-Bayley

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Welcome to the site Bayley. Keep your eyes open coming this spring. I'm sure there will be quite a few events that take place on the lake with this group.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Convincer253, afterwards you can hit up the jobbie nooner. They typically are looking for safety boats for the race on the weekend, I did that last year and that was a pretty good experience. Then later in July or August they have an apprecation party at JonnieG's for all the volunteers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.