Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I 've been fishing at pine grove park on an off since april an all i've caught is 4 walleye.I've been watching the guys casting under the coast guard boat an slammin'em with twisters! It seems the walleyes are all but gone but dont get me wrong i've seen them caught but not like they use to catch them.I talked to one guy who stayed there for 2 days an he only caught sheephead an 2 walleye has it been from the weather conditions? or the canadiens with there nets catching thousands of walleye to support the local eateries? what it is i dont know but something has to happen!! I hope Get tiring going home skunked!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
There's no fish in that river, hell I moved here a month ago and haven't caught anything I go whippin I use twister tails , I drift and troll harnesses and nothing, hell I've never caught a walleye in my life.

Thanks for listening

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Jason W @ Jun 13 2009, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There's no fish in that river, hell I moved here a month ago and haven't caught anything I go whippin I use twister tails , I drift and troll harnesses and nothing, hell I've never caught a walleye in my life.

Thanks for listening

The other thing i noticed every year the walleye keep declining near the boardwalk are they staying in deeper water I know the shiners have been running very thick this year but i'm baffled cause i never got skunked as much as i did this year!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
QUOTE(shipnut38 @ Jun 13 2009, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I 've been fishing at pine grove park on an off since april an all i've caught is 4 walleye.I've been watching the guys casting under the coast guard boat an slammin'em with twisters! It seems the walleyes are all but gone but dont get me wrong i've seen them caught but not like they use to catch them.I talked to one guy who stayed there for 2 days an he only caught sheephead an 2 walleye has it been from the weather conditions? or the canadiens with there nets catching thousands of walleye to support the local eateries? what it is i dont know but something has to happen!! I hope Get tiring going home skunked!!

Three years ago(the walleye were running plentiful but very small) I heard a lot of fisherman bragging about their over the limit and under the size catch and i do believe that is a major factor in the lack of walleye. All those bragging fisherman that kept 50 or 60 walleye should be hung.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I think there are no Walleye within you all of you peoples casting radius. Canada did not take all your Walleye from the water. There will be a dramatic increase in Walleye running through the SCR during the Spring, which is why you might see a larger increase in people's catch rates. It will die down once the Spring run is done, leaving SOME fish in the river. Those fish that were there in the Spring, wont necessarily be there in the Summer, but might be back in the Fall.

Secret is learning WHERE your Walleye are in the system of water you're fishing, during a particular season. I have 3 spots I can fish from shore and catch walleye consistantly. Some spots are better then others, depending on which season it is.

·
Banned
2,961 Posts
the walleye are everywhere, i have been getting reports of good catches from the black river all the way down to algonac, above the black river seems to be slow.Its a species you have to learn, and as you learn, you have to fish alot to keep on top of them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jun 14 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the musky ate all the walleye.....

Iknow the walleye are there but many in numbers from the black river all the way to algonac an just north of the blue water bridge.I have seen 2 big muskies caught at pine grove park an i also talked to 3 divers who said all they seen were sheephead carp an suckers an very few small walleye. The walleyes i've seen caught from shore are very small barely legal size.I dont own a boat an like some people have said the numbers just not what it used to be at pine grove park

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Folks are absolutely crushing them in Erie in Ohio, Michigan, and Canadian waters. Folks are also absolutely crushing them in Saginaw Bay. Why they are not staying in traditional Lake St Clair locations that much the past few years, I don't know. I thought that there have been quite a few caught this year in the St Clair river though?
Also the DR is still producing fish...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I think it's the colder weather this year. The water temps are still low and I think its causeing the run to be behind this year. I bet in a week or two your spot is going to fire up! There is still is alot of eyes in lsc yet and they seem to be ruuning a littler slow up SCR this year. I know there is pleanty of walleye to be caught left in great lakes water ways. Then I have a question for you too. If there are guys slammin'em on some twisters, is that how are fishing for them? If not I start fishing for them like that till things fire up!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(WALLEYE JUNKIE @ Jun 14 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think it's the colder weather this year. The water temps are still low and I think its causeing the run to be behind this year. I bet in a week or two your spot is going to fire up! There is still is alot of eyes in lsc yet and they seem to be ruuning a littler slow up SCR this year. I know there is pleanty of walleye to be caught left in great lakes water ways. Then I have a question for you too. If there are guys slammin'em on some twisters, is that how are fishing for them? If not I start fishing for them like that till things fire up!

There is very little areas to fish with twisters by the coast guard boat cause they have guys who will alternate day an nite in the same spot then you have to compete with all the guys who use the heavy ocean rods an reels an over 2lbs.of sinker to keep it on the bottom.During the afternoon an the weekend it fills up quick cause of the bad economy an people who have nothing to do but fish i'm always in the right area i have a favorite spot that always produced walleyes did good in the spring but not as of lately! The two muskies i seen caught were almost 40 inches an with the huge numbers of shiners the pearch have been hitting by the coast guard boat which is amazing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts