Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be making the venture tomorrow evening from Harbor Club North to Port Huron to visit the In-Laws who are up camping. Just wondering if there are any words to the wise for my first excursion over a 40 min boat ride?!

-How long will it take me at 35-40mph?
-Which channel should I take from Harbor club, seems like it would be pretty even Mid vs. South?

Thanks for any input!

-Nick

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
Enjoy the 4MPH current you'll be fighting on the way up, and the added help from the river on the way back.

Other than it being ROUGH where the channels meet the river, you will find its ROUGH about a mile south of the Blue Water Bridge till you pass it.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Jul 1 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Enjoy the 4MPH current you'll be fighting on the way up, and the added help from the river on the way back.

Other than it being ROUGH where the channels meet the river, you will find its ROUGH about a mile south of the Blue Water Bridge till you pass it.

He'll probably be turning in before he hits the bridge, sometimes that can be tricky with the current and the traffic.......

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(fitsus @ Jul 1 2009, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Stodge @ Jul 1 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Enjoy the 4MPH current you'll be fighting on the way up, and the added help from the river on the way back.

He'll probably be turning in before he hits the bridge, sometimes that can be tricky with the current and the traffic.......

yea, I'll be turning in at the black river, i've been up there by car a couple times this year, I could see navigating into the mouth of the black river could be interesting, I only saw little CG boats, and a few fisherman navigating the area, it was still before my boat saw water.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
When you get to St. Clair City stay near the American Side (keep the red buoys on your starboard) as there is a sand bar in the center of the river. If you're going out into Lake Huron you can hug the Canadian side of the rive once you get to the Black River. Its a little smoother going under the bridge there. Just don't have any open alcohol visible as that is a big no no in Canada.

Lots of nice places to eat along the St. Clair River but make sure you do a tight 4 point tie off or the first time a go fast or freighter goes by you'll bang the docks. I like ducking into either the Pine River at St. Clair to eat at Voyagers, Pepper Joe's or Murphy's or the Black River to eat at Quay Street, Rum Runners or The Zebra just past the first bridge.

Clear Skies.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
If it is a calm day, it can be great run. If the wind is blowing from the south, it'll fight the current and oh, boy... not so much fun.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Jul 1 2009, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>take the south channel, you wont have to come off plane.

That's what we always take and kinda fun running with the freighters

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(dockrocker @ Jul 1 2009, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If it is a calm day, it can be great run. If the wind is blowing from the south, it'll fight the current and oh, boy... not so much fun.

We're hoping for some calmness, we're leaving in the evening, so hopefully mother nature cooperates in everyway possible. I haven't been that far up the St. Clair river in 14+ years, never since I've owned a boat, and every time my parents tried to go further than St. Clair they had boat issues, so this will be a good test.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
boat issues yeah we tried that run last year and my buddys boat overheated too, bad pump. oops.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(fitsus @ Jul 1 2009, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Jul 1 2009, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>take the south channel, you wont have to come off plane.

thanks . . . Kinda looking forward to doing that, even though the wife may not be so much . . . come to find out, even though we've had this booked for 3 weeks she's nervous for the trip with just the 2 of us, but we made it to the Cove so there's no reason we won't make it to the Port!

I'm thinking 1.5-2hrs tops?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Jul 1 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>boat issues yeah we tried that run last year and my buddys boat overheated too, bad pump. oops.

that was my parents deal too back in the day King Cobra 454. . . the temp sensor wouldn't reset after an overheat either, pretty much forced my parents out of boating, they were towed on many occasions on all three of the boats they owned in boating career, and finally gave up to the boating gods.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
A number of years ago, we took our Powerquest 280 (single 502) from Belle Maer, down around the South Channel and up to Sarnia (Bridgeview Marina) in about 1:15 if I remember correctly. It was the Friday before the Port Huron to Mac race, A storm front had come through and chased most of the traffic off the river, and the water was perfect with just a bit of chop. Ran 50+ mph the whole way, one of the best rides we ever had.

Coming home, we found that raindrops hitting your face at speed are not so much fun.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(dockrocker @ Jul 1 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A number of years ago, we took our Powerquest 280 (single 502) from Belle Maer, down around the South Channel and up to Sarnia (Bridgeview Marina) in about 1:15 if I remember correctly. It was the Friday before the Port Huron to Mac race, A storm front had come through and chased most of the traffic off the river, and the water was perfect with just a bit of chop. Ran 50+ mph the whole way, one of the best rides we ever had.

Coming home, we found that raindrops hitting your face at speed are not so much fun.

thats good to know thanks!
. . . running about 40ish, and not having to travel as far around the lake and such I should be able to come in about 90mins then it would seem. . . starting to get excited about all this now!!

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(msu_gost8 @ Jul 1 2009, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fitsus @ Jul 1 2009, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Jul 1 2009, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>take the south channel, you wont have to come off plane.

thanks . . . Kinda looking forward to doing that, even though the wife may not be so much . . . come to find out, even though we've had this booked for 3 weeks she's nervous for the trip with just the 2 of us, but we made it to the Cove so there's no reason we won't make it to the Port!

I'm thinking 1.5-2hrs tops?

I made it from MacRay to Lexington doing about 30mph in just over 2 hours. You should be fine.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(dockrocker @ Jul 1 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Best part is, you really can't get lost

Well you can. But the red and white flags are a good clue you're on the wrong side.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(Stodge @ Jul 1 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>True. Canada to starbord=going North.

let me write that down!

it is nice to know there's always land, wether is be maple leaf or stars and stripes the whole way, no getting turned around in the middle of the lake.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts