Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my little boy and my fiance to metro past saturday. We set up the poles, and my sond and my lady were fishing off the bottom using perch rigs and crawlers. I was walking around casting a spinner nearby, talking to a bunch of guys who were also getting skunked as it seemed. She goes to check the worms and starts slowly retrieving it. About 15 feet from the shore, she yells, honey i think i got something huge. So I run up there, and what do you know. The pole is bent in half, and she is trying to get it to release. Total snag! She hand the pole over so i can give it a shot before we cut the line. Move it to left or right no luck. At the same time, i felt something vibrating at the end. (fireline does a great job transmittting vibration due to its stiff characteristics). So I think to myself.. Holly Jesus, is it an asian carp or something sitting under the rocks? I figured the best thing to do is give it a few minutes and try retrieving it unexpectedly in a totally different direction, and thats what we did. I walked about 40 feet to the right and started yanking the pole. And all of a sudden i feel something huge and heavy slowly coming along. Ohh no, she caught a dead body or a tire... or a stump im thinking to myself. It took some time to bring it closer to shore and guess what emerged right infront of my eyes? A HUGE swamp turtle holding a baby catfish in its' mouth! And when i say huge, I mean HUGE. I had two gentelman help me remove the turtle from the water in an attempt to retrieve the tackle and the fish that was stuck in his throat. Meanwhile my 5 yearold and the girlfirned are doing the happy fisherman dance lol. It was very very heavy, and between 3 guys we had a hard time carrying it up and holding him down. We succesfuly unhooked him and released him back into the wild
Unfortunately, in the rucus we did not take a picture. Just took a picture of a chewed up baby cat after the fact. If i were to estimate the weight of this moster, i must say it was closer to 100 lbs. I have seen big turtles before but this one was a lochness monster! Caugh by my fiance on 4 LB Test fireline!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
too bad no video camera, make a great commercial for fireline haha
makes you think twice about walking around barefoot out there!!! could probably take your whole foot off

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Fantastic story,, double catch cat and poss. world record line class turtle. Wow the excitement. Good job.. On FireLine oh my. 4lb. test if that's not a test. Berkley wants to hear about that for sure. Good job Andy.

h2o<-- says hard to top that on 4lb.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Very interesting. Would have liked to have seen that. Where in Metro did this all happen? Were you shore fishing because of all this dumb weather and wind??

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, we hit the shore, because friday before this I spent the whole day with my future father and brothers in law out infornt of metro, by the buoys (thanks miller) and fisher bay. We even tried middle channel and infotn of metro and had just 4 perch. 12 hours of fishing and no luck. And it was rougher then all hell, so i had zero desire to be on the boat. We were fishing in the little lagoon, thats over by the boat launch in metro.

You doing any good over by #26-29 Miller?

·
Registered
47 Posts
We've only been out once, because of the wind and weather. Picked up two behind Geno's 12 fow. We plan on getting out tonight if the wind stays down. May head out to the dumps or the Dalphine Channel. I listen to the ship to shore every day... It doesn't sound like anybody is doing much good. And the guys I hear regularly are alot better fishermen then me. So if they aren't doing any good I figure my chances are pretty silm. Did you ever get a ship to shore on the boat? What about a gps?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I am fully equipped and seasoned at this point. I have an older vhf, the reception is great, however, i think my microphone is no good. I can hear it somewhat click when I key in, but no transmission going out since it doesn't silence the speaker and i hear static when i ask for a radio check. I'll check at west marine tomorrow to see if i can find a compatible mike for testing purpouses. In terms of a GPS, I also covered myself with an older cheap unit. Its a Garmin II Plus series, old, but has plenty of capacity for all the waypoints I would ever need, especially when coimbined with garmin blue charts software. We still haven't named the boat yet tho. Admiral likes "5'o clock" and i just may go for that.

See you out there Miller, I'll be out boozing and fishing all day saturday infornt of metro. Too rough to go to other parts of the lake and if i go anywhere near the shipping channel, she'll think I am at Gull... Not a good thing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts