Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been using Power Pro braided line color mossy green. I know they make different colors like yellow and red. I was wondering what would be the advantages or disadvantages to these different colors besides just visablility?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
thats a good question... I was using green Sufix performance braid, but just picked up a spool of red Power Pro, hopefully it wasnt a bad move. LOL far as im concerned...anything's better than fireline crystal.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Visibility to the angler is the biggest advantage. Depending on how deep you fish could also be a part. Red spectrum is lost first in the water column, then Yellow, then Green. These are not exact but I believe Red is lost at 15-20 feet, yellow at 30-40, and green at 70-80. I fish for Salmon with both yellow and green braid. I have never noticed a difference in performance between the 2. So like I said the advantage really comes down to you being able to see the line better. I have heard reports that the red color flakes off of the PP pretty bad. This is a very minimal issue with green and yellow

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've used all the colors at one time or another and it really never seemed to make any difference in catch success. I agree that the red does loose it's color more than the others but I've never thought it was a big deal. I always use a 3-4' flourocarbon leader when fishing with Power Pro. This is for visibility near the bait/lure and also for ease in tying to the lures. I really love the Power Pro and use it on all my reels in both fresh and salt water.

·
Registered
583 Posts
QUOTE(Papa Smurf @ Oct 1 2009, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thats a good question... I was using green Sufix performance braid, but just picked up a spool of red Power Pro, hopefully it wasnt a bad move. LOL far as im concerned...anything's better than fireline crystal.

I've used fireline crystal (white) all summer for my 'eyes at night--and I've caught more than the people I've fished with. Now, this could have absolutely NOTHING to do with the line I use, and could be a myriad of other factors, but it certainly doesn't seem to hinder anything, and I really like being able to see my line in the dark.
That said, the line is not perfect. It frays rather easily, and I've had a few issues with breakoffs. I find the line loses its strength rather quick (i fish a lot of rocky/zebra mussle infested water), and if I wasn't so lazy and cut off bad sections of line, I would have lost far less cranks. I did try power pro 30 lb test (8 diameter), and it was just too heavy, and couldn't feel bottom that well, or the action of my lure. Despite its issues, I have confidence in fireline 6-8 lb tests.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just switched from Suffix braid to power pro on my musky rod. I must admit that the power pro has been working really well.

The only problem I ever had with Suffix is line twist and im sure it was more on my behalf than the line itself... that being said I rate both equally as good at this point. IMO.

My fishing partner has run Fireline, I wasnt really impressed. It seemed like every time he cast the line wouldnt come out and lay flat. It always looked like it still had the memory of being on the spool. He ended up swithching to Suffix and Power Pro.

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE(Mukskellunge Mitchell @ Oct 1 2009, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So I have been using Power Pro braided line color mossy green. I know they make different colors like yellow and red. I was wondering what would be the advantages or disadvantages to these different colors besides just visablility?

have u ever tried sinking braid 8 or 10lb for walleye? i use it with bombers and cranks casting at night. i use the others too but sinking braid is worth a try !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts