Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is 30/8 Power Pro too big for walleye/salmon?
Is 30/8 Power Pro too much for walleye/salmon
Yes, too big836.36%
NO, you'll be fine 'cause of the small diameter1463.64%

·
Registered
583 Posts
Well, I got around to it yesterday, and rid myself of the fireline that was giving me problems. Since I'm going on my first salmon fishing trip this weekend, I was hesitant to purchase fireline again, with its inconsistencies, though I really did like the previous spools of it. I just couldn't afford another bum spool. So, I opted for 30/8 power pro instead, and had a chance to try it out last night for a bit.

I really like the casting of the new line, but I find the sensitivity to be a little less than with the fireline--although this could be because my fireline was 8/2 compared to the much stronger 30/8 I put on. However, thing is, I didn't even catch ONE fish last night (although my buddy didn't either, who uses 10lb mono). Of course, this concerned me--did I go to big for walleye/salmon fishing? I wanted something strong 'cause most of my fishing involves bouncing jigs/cranks, and soon-to-be spoons off rocks, but now I fear it's too big, and maybe spooks the fish (it's the moss green colour)? I never really did pay much attention to line affecting bites, but I haven't been outright skunked in a long time. I figured that, with the small diameter of this line, I could afford to go bigger? Mistake?

Thanks for your help and insight!

PS: I don't want to beat a dead horse and start a fireline/power pro debate, just know if the size is ok.

BTW, I contacted Fireline about my issues, and they told me to send them a sample of bad line and return address for a new spool--how cool is that! Great customer service, and if the next spool is good, I may go back.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(barnz @ Sep 8 2009, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, I got around to it yesterday, and rid myself of the fireline that was giving me problems. Since I'm going on my first salmon fishing trip this weekend, I was hesitant to purchase fireline again, with its inconsistencies, though I really did like the previous spools of it. I just couldn't afford another bum spool. So, I opted for 30/8 power pro instead, and had a chance to try it out last night for a bit.

I really like the casting of the new line, but I find the sensitivity to be a little less than with the fireline--although this could be because my fireline was 8/2 compared to the much stronger 30/8 I put on. However, thing is, I didn't even catch ONE fish last night (although my buddy didn't either, who uses 10lb mono). Of course, this concerned me--did I go to big for walleye/salmon fishing? I wanted something strong 'cause most of my fishing involves bouncing jigs/cranks, and soon-to-be spoons off rocks, but now I fear it's too big, and maybe spooks the fish (it's the moss green colour)? I never really did pay much attention to line affecting bites, but I haven't been outright skunked in a long time. I figured that, with the small diameter of this line, I could afford to go bigger? Mistake?

Thanks for your help and insight!

PS: I don't want to beat a dead horse and start a fireline/power pro debate, just know if the size is ok.

BTW, I contacted Fireline about my issues, and they told me to send them a sample of bad line and return address for a new spool--how cool is that! Great customer service, and if the next spool is good, I may go back.

You w ill be fine. Just remember to back off your drag a bit. The stuff is every bit as sensitive (if not more) than Fireline. It casts better, is woven and it doesnt give you the wind knot problems as bad.

I have been using it since before it came out on the market. Also try Bass Pro Extreme Braid. Can hardly tell the difference between it and PowerPro.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I use 10 Lb (2 Lb mono dia) Power Pro on the river for walleye. I would have bought it in 8 Lb (1 Lb mono dia) but they were out. The thinner diameter has less resistance to the current & helps to stay vertical.

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Sep 8 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I use 10 Lb (2 Lb mono dia) Power Pro on the river for walleye. I would have bought it in 8 Lb (1 Lb mono dia) but they were out. The thinner diameter has less resistance to the current & helps to stay vertical.

^^^^^^^Yeah what he said lol. I use 1/8 on all of my jigging rods and have not lost a fish yet due to a break off.

·
Registered
99 Posts
FYI, I use 8lb fire line on my jigging rods for the detroit river, They have held up good except for, I used one of the rods to cast a lipless crank, it was brand new and the second time i cast it, i watched it go with no line attached, the line broke while it was in mid air
and it was a really cool black and chrome lure. Mine was the green line and my son who has the smoke color has had the same issue more that once and he doesnt fish near what i do. Now with the same rod and line earlier this year i pulled a 25lb carp out of 52 fow near the bridge and got it into the boat, so i dont know. Ive gone to suffix brade on a couple of my other rods 10# 20# and 30 and so far i really like it Its very sensitive, I caught a 4-5 in perch just the other day on the 10lb and felt the nibble, and unlike that the color comes off in your fingers when spooling it the suffix didnt leave any color (green) on my fingers like the fire line does. So I plan on hitten the river in the next few days and im going to use the 10lb suffix and see how it does. I have used the 10lb braid to jig and it cut the current good, didnt notice any difference from from the 8lb braid. Im curious to see how the 30lb does, Ill be lookin for your resport, Good luck on the salmon.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I have 9 rods spooled with power pro. All but 1 with 30/8. Your size is just right for salmon. Might be a bit big for walleye but guys have used 10lb mono for jigging for many years. If you're concerned about fish being shy from the line then tie a 2-3 foot piece of gamma flouro to the end.

Mark Martin was the first guy to convince me to use yellow PP and a flouro leader

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See, I was previously using fireline crystal, and have done pretty decent from shore to date. This last spool, however, was breaking at the smallest twitch whenever I got hung up on something. Even lost a fish on it too, broke off, and it wasn't a mule by any means. Just plain out couldn't trust it anymore, especially with the salmon trip approaching.

The only reason I went to 30 lb power pro was that it has a diameter of only 10lb mono--why not go bigger, was my reasoning...I'll try it for a few nights and see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Honestly, I think you should have separate rods for the two species. I use 4 lb for jigging (thanks H20). I've used quite a bit of fireline and can tell you there is a difference in feel if you go over 10 lb. I actually think 10 lb is to heavy and lessens your feel. Of course this would be for walleye, 10 pound may work for salmon but would be on the lite side.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Break offs with braided line happen. The stuff is not shock proof and when a sudden shock to the line happens, something has to give. Not like a strike from a fish, but more like a shock from a lure sailing out and a backlash happens at the reel. Or setting teh hook HARD on a fish with the drag tightened down too hard and a stiff rod (think flipping for bass). Thats why you need to back down on your drag or use a softer rod.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I have 65lb power pro on my Musky casting rod. I've caught everything from Bowfin to Walleye on it. Line doesn't bother the fish in 90% of the situations, BUT there are always those other 10%. Like these guys have said, jigging is more of a finesse thing so thinner line might be better. I think you'll be fine with what you spooled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.